Which variable magnification for beginner?

gnet158

I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS 308 cal rifle. While talking to the sales guy he ask want I was going to be shooting (target or hunting)? I said targets mainly but I wanted the ability to use it for hunting deer too.

With that he suggested a 3-10x40ish(mm) scope. I live in CA where I'm limited in the amount of shooting ranges. I don't think I'll need/want to shoot past say 300 yards. Is his recommendation right? What do you think/recommend?

Thanks

There are many choices available. I think a scope in that range would be fine. I'll take a little better quality over a cheaper scope with higher magnification most any day. Set your budget & keep an eye out for a slightly used one to save/upgrade a little.

Since you live in california and there are hordes of public land that you can shoot as far as you dare -i'd recommend a 4.5x14 class scope.
4.5x setting will not be too much for close in shots and 14x will be nice when you stretch the 308 out too 700-800 yds..

Buy a quality name brand scope w/a lifetime warranty when/if you decide to sell it you'll get most of your money back .

300yds. ? come on dude this is longrange hunting -grin ..Best to you -Mike

Since you live in california and there are hordes of public land that you can shoot as far as you dare -i'd recommend a 4.5x14 class scope.
4.5x setting will not be too much for close in shots and 14x will be nice when you stretch the 308 out too 700-800 yds..

Buy a quality name brand scope w/a lifetime warranty when/if you decide to sell it you'll get most of your money back .

He hit the nail on the head.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.