Which SWFA fixed magnification scope for a heavy varmint rifle?

Well since you're trying to stay within 300 buck range or less maybe the fixed 12X or 16X is your best compromise. Unless you can use a holdover Horus type reticle instead of dialing. Then maybe a Primary Arms 4-14X R Grid might work. But I have no idea how good the glass will be. Some like them, some hate them.

Incidentally, I am no fan of the Primary Arms scopes. I have/had five, including three of their 4-14x44mm FFP ACSS reticle scopes. The clarity is substandard even for a budget scope, and after confirmation on several known stable accuracy rifles, can assure you that their zero will occasionally drift over a MOA. I have two sitting on my work bench right now, that I'm trying to decide what to do with. Oh yes, unless they recently change their policy, Primary Arms scopes only have a 1 year warranty....

I have extensive time behind the 16x SWFA- It worked well for me. I did a ton of shooting with it between 400-1000 yd. I gave it to the wifes savage 111.
I also have a fixed 10x, and I think for varmint- the 10x or 12x will serve you better as far as FOV and ease on the eyes. I don't think fast target acquisition would be a quality I would assign the 16x at anything closer than 300 hops and leaps.

I don't think fast target acquisition would be a quality I would assign the 16x at anything closer than 300 hops and leaps.

I have a kind of funny story that happened on a state run public drawing hunt. They were trying to eradicate all the exotic sheep because it is a State Natural Area.

Any way I walked up on three ewe's...50 to 75 yards. I didn't have time to dump the pack so I was shooting offhand with it and a 300wm, 15+lb rifle and the 16x fixed SWFA scope. First shot wasn't too bad, once the other two started scrabbling it got a bit more challenging. Of course no time to set the parallax either, so nothing was in focus.

I still removed all three with 4 shots...one ewe took two and the longest shot was 75yds.:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.