which scope rings and bases for a Browning A-Bolt SA?

squeeeeze

I have a Browning ng A-Bolt short action and need a 20 Moa base and rings. looking at the Talley 20moa base and trying to figure out what rings.

Was looking at the Burris XTR initially but open to suggstions. I'd like low rings as my current setup is .550" from base to bottom of scope and would like to remain close to the same height.

I have a custom 7Wsm that just got finished but now need 20 moa bases and picatinny rings for the rail.

What would you reccomend and do I need to spend $200+ on rings?

Thanks Guys I Appreciate The Responses!

Outlaw, I Did A Search And Looked At Posts For A Couple Hours But 95% Were Dead Ends With People Asking The Same Questions With No Responses. I Knew I Shoulda Prefaced With That First.

Outlaw I Did Come Across One Of Your Responses To "Need Help On Choosing Rings" And One Other After I Started My Thread That Didn't Show Up On My Rings Search.

Yours' Was Very Helpful And Informative. The M10 Are Sharp Looking Rings For Sure. The Murphy Rings Are Just The Opposite As Far As Looks Go......

Some rings state they have recoil lugs. What is that and will it make a difference?

Some rings state they have recoil lugs. What is that and will it make a difference?

The M10's are the cream of the crop, in my humble opinion.

Rings with "recoil lugs" are most often recommended for hard recoiling rifles. The extra lugs will help keep the scope firmly in place under the brutal recoil of some of the either larger bore calibers or uber light "pack" rifles known to pack a wallop (on both ends). They most certainly have their place & cannot hurt (in a quality ring).

Keep in mind, most any ring with a cross bolt can be used as recoil lug. Slide the rear ring as far back as it can go in the pre-chosen picatinny slot & slde the front ring as far forward as it can go. This will help ensure the scope cannot slide forward or backwards under recoil, drop or nasty fall.

This is a picture of rings with built in recoil lugs from Aadland Engineering (another fantastic product).

http://www.aadmount.com/

AAD rings.jpg

t

The M10's are the cream of the crop, in my humble opinion.

Rings with "recoil lugs" are most often recommended for hard recoiling rifles. The extra lugs will help keep the scope firmly in place under the brutal recoil of some of the either larger bore calibers or uber light "pack" rifles known to pack a wallop (on both ends). They most certainly have their place & cannot hurt (in a quality ring).

Keep in mind, most any ring with a cross bolt can be used as recoil lug. Slide the rear ring as far back as it can go in the pre-chosen picatinny slot & slde the front ring as far forward as it can go. This will help ensure the scope cannot slide forward or backwards under recoil, drop or nasty fall.

This is a picture of rings with built in recoil lugs from Aadland Engineering (another fantastic product).

Aadland Engineering, LLC AADMOUNT Products

View attachment 36285

t

Cool thanks again! Probably gonna go with the ARC X-low rings and a 20Moa base from probably Talley I guess. I have a super sharp looking rifle and if these rings are half as good as thy look they'll be great. Was looking at the Talley tactical rings initially and the recoil lugs I believe are as you pictured. I get now what the recoil lug is.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.