Picatinny bases needed for BROWNING A-BOLT

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by cwinner, Jan 5, 2011.

1. cwinner

cwinner Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a high quality Picatinny base for a browing A-Bolt short action? I have found EGW on the web and Warne for long actions, but no other luck. Any help would be appreciated, I am having my old 284 re-barrelled and would like to trick it out a bit once it's ready.

Thanks.....I use NEAR bases on my Weatherbys' and am looking for someting similar in quality for the new stick. gun)

2. cwinner

Does anyone have experience with thest EGW bases? I have seen some mixed reviews and am looking for a few oppinions............I have a couple of months before I need one.

3. bb204

bb204 Well-Known Member

I have used EGW Pic bases on several A-bolts in 300 Win. Mag. and 7mm Rem. and have never had a problem with any of them. You can spend as much as you want but why not try the lower cost first ? Near's are definitely top of the line, but again EGW has always worked well for me. Good luck with your project.

4. cwinner

Thanks for the input....I have not had any luck finding anything other that EGW so I guess I;ll order some and try them out.....not many options for this action.

5. bb204

bb204 Well-Known Member

One of the pop-ups on this site makes them. Look for the Titanium scope mount ad. But they are big bucks $$$$. Again, I like the EGWs.

6. tpbscha

tpbscha Well-Known Member

7. cwinner

I just found out that NEAR manufacturing is making these for both long and short actions.......my new short action base 20MOA NEAR base came in last week and I replaced the EGW base I had been using.

I thought I would update this thread with this new information.

8. Gene R.

Gene R. Well-Known Member

What were the short comings of the EGW that caused you to switch? Alum to steel?

Gene

9. cwinner

I don't know there was anything wrong with the EGW's but The steel vs aluminum thing was bugging me......I mainly switched them to make me feel better.gun)