recommendation for scope bases and rings

dmax1800

I've been fighting an accuracy inconsistency problem for quite some time with my model 70 300 win mag. Its got a match grade barrel, bedded stock and the trued action. I've tried different bullets and powders. I've had a gunsmith look at it and he couldn't find anything wrong. I can sometimes get 3/8" groups and sometimes get almost 2" groups at 100 yards. I've tried a different scope, but the same inconsistency.

What I haven't tried is different scope bases and rings. I'm using Weaver bases and Warne quick detach rings. I've got a pair of ring alignment tools, but I can't use them with the Warne rings.

I just read about a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter with accuracy problems and one suggestion was to try aligning the scope to eliminate scope torque. I want to try a different set of bases and rings. My local Scheels store recommends Leupold bases and rings. Are they any good???

What do you recommend???
Thanks.

Recommend Burris Signature Rings with the offset inserts. They are rock solid and the inserts allow you to cant (tilt) the scope and they are forgiving of slight misalignment.

My preference is Leupold QD rigs ( the quick detachable ones with the flip over lever to release them) and EGW rail. ( I just use 15MOA rail. Ive never had a problem in getting them accurate or them keeping accuracy.

I agree with trebark. The easiest way to determine if stress in the mount is causing your problems is to change out the rings to Burris Signature. Any other approach I can think of will cost more money and take more time.

What scope are you using?

Trebark, how's the weather in Falls Church? I'm flying to Dulles tomorrow for a meeting in the Arlington area on Wed. The last forecast I saw was 30-60% rain.

bruce_ventura,
I'm using Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 with a rapid-Z 800 reticle. I've also tried the same scope, but with a plain Z-plex reticle.

Bruce or Trebark, I can get my hands on Leupold a lot quicker than Burris rings and bases, would I be making a mistake to try the Leopolds???

I agree with the burris bases and insert rings. But, if you are haveing mount problems now going with another set of fixed rings/bases may be a gamble. Try this before you get another set of bases/rings.

If you have a standard set of rings laying around put them on and see if your problem rights its self. If not then change over to the burris system.

bruce_ventura,
I'm using Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 with a rapid-Z 800 reticle. I've also tried the same scope, but with a plain Z-plex reticle.

Bruce or Trebark, I can get my hands on Leupold a lot quicker than Burris rings and bases, would I be making a mistake to try the Leopolds???

They may be easier to get locally, but they will require more effort to answer the question about stress causing POA shift.

If I understand your post, you want to know if misalignment between the rings can cause enough stress to make the POA unstable. Simply changing bases and rings may or may not reduce stress. To really answer the question, you need to install the bases and ring so that the rings are properly aligned. That is not easy to do with Leupold standard rings. I use Kokopelli alignment bars to align the rings horizontally.

The rings can still have a misalignment in the vertical direction. For a two-piece base, I take that out by shimming the bases. To be certain there is no residual stress, I would lap the rings. You can avoid all of that by using Burris Signature rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.