Which Scope for .308

i just finished a 16" .308 build and topped it off with a SWFA 3-15. i think it's a little too much for the scope and plan to find a 1-8x at some point but mine is mainly for plinking and deer season for 2 months where i will be shooting from 0-400 yards.

Had vx5 and shv, liked the shv more. Leupold has more pop in the glass but not as much Resolution as the nf. I think the pop and colors blended the image together to much. Also the nf worked.

I just bought a new Savage 10 .308, and am looking to buy a new scope for it. I have looked at Trijicon Accupower and Accupoint, Nightforce SHV, Zeiss Conquest V4, and some Leupolds. But with the Leupolds, I just can't find a reticle that they make that I like. And if there is a brand that I am not thinking about please mention them. I am looking at 12 to 18 power (preferably 16-18 power). Thanks for the info and knowledge.
Vortex 6x20 249.00. At sportsman's

I recently got a 4-16x44 Zeiss V4 for a 30-06. I'm not overly impressed with the optical quality. It's more than good enough but above 12x it seems pretty picky and the clarity isn't quite as good. I need to get out an shoot it more to verify tracking but I definitely wish I had a 3-15x44 VX-5 to compare to. The next scope I buy will be a Mk5 5-25 for an FN SPR in 308. Love that rifle

I am looking at spending no more than $1,000, weight is not a big problem on this rig. I like Mil-Dot and BDC reticles not Duplex reticles. Thanks so much!
Did you literally mean a Mil-dot reticle? Or are you ok with a retinal with milliradian/MOA subtensions? Tract Toric makes a great scope with a well laid out BDC.

Did you literally mean a Mil-dot reticle? Or are you ok with a retinal with milliradian/MOA subtensions? Tract Toric makes a great scope with a well laid out BDC.
I really like the Mil-dot reticle itself, but i'm ok with a retinal with milliradain/MOA subtensions.

SWFA 3-15 is a pretty solid ffp scope with a easy to use mil reticle and decent glass. I have one and love it, there's a lot of better scopes out there but not for the same price you can buy one these especially if you can pick one up on sale.

I've been super happy with my vortex Viper pst scopes. You can pick up a gen 1 pretty inexpensive now that the gen2 gave been out a while. Available in sfp or ffp as well as mil or moa and the reticle and turrets match regardless of which you pick. I picked up one 4x-16x pst Gen1 for $400 from a yardsale a year ago, and another for $280 from the cabellas bargain cave about the same time

I just bought a new Savage 10 .308, and am looking to buy a new scope for it. I have looked at Trijicon Accupower and Accupoint, Nightforce SHV, Zeiss Conquest V4, and some Leupolds. But with the Leupolds, I just can't find a reticle that they make that I like. And if there is a brand that I am not thinking about please mention them. I am looking at 12 to 18 power (preferably 16-18 power). Thanks for the info and knowledge.
Leupold's VX6HD I would go with

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.