which scope

• Vortex Viper PST gen 2 FFP 5-25x50

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Meopta Optika 6 FFP 4.5-27x50

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Athlon ares btr gen 2 4.5-27x50

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
I'm not sure what your objectives are but I'd look hard at the elevation travel in the Vortex. I have a Gen 1 PST 2.5-10x32 and have shot quite a bit with a 5-25 gen 2. They both track well but the 5-25 doesn't have the glass clarity or travel in my opinion to get the most of the available zoom. At the price point you're entertaining I'd through the Steiner 4-16x56 in the mix. Supposedly same or better tracking with better glass and, being a 34mm tube, probably a good bump in the elevation range.

Vortex warranty is bullet proof and the glass is pretty good, relatively speaking. I've not used the others but have heard good things. Of the three, which reticle works best for you with regards to how it will be deployed. I'd also look at the amount of travel available for each. All good products.

Never underestimate Meopta! I have entered events in Europe many times where they are well known. I believe they are every bit as good, if not better than Vortex. They even keep up with my Nightforce! Meopta is the best kept secret in the USA.

I picked up one of these Demo Zeiss V4's and really like it optically compared to the 1st gen viper HST.
The windage turret is a little different but the clicks seem positive and I really like the zero stop on the V4 much better than the system that is on my 1st gen's. Positive stop, not turn past and back!

Worth a look!

I picked a demo V6 up from Red Hawk, greatly satisfied with clarity and tracking

Q please. What is the best glass/resolution in a "low priced" Zeiss ? Thinking of picking up a Demo Discount? Thanks.

I have two viper hst's and it wasn't until I picked up the Zeiss that I really appreciated the solid zero stop.
I also really like the ZMOA reticle. I haven't had the chance to shoot it much yet(two other rifles) but as soon as I can I will be putting it through the paces. You get the full warranty and as far as I can tell there is no damage of any kind to the scope being used as a demo!! Until I found that deal I was focused on one of the new vortex razor light weights and I don't think that I will regret the decision to go with the Zeiss.

Guessing it was previously mentioned but EuroOptic has the demos available as well. Purchased several from them and has been great. Might allow you to expand your focus, based on budget. Great folks to speak with as well from an experience w/product.

Looking at these 3 scopes. Obviously reliability/repeatable tracking is highest need, but after that it would be clarity and how the reticle looks at low light without illumination just incase of failure. How well does the illumination work? Warranty. All are about the same price so not really any advantage there. Thanks!
Glad to see you threw in Athlon....now take a look at Hawke too..nice reticle in the Hawke SR Pro!

Vortex, at one time was a value, not any more. Take a look at the "TRACT scopes. I have one, blows the rest out of the water @ $1699.

Vortex, at one time was a value, not any more. Take a look at the "TRACT scopes. I have one, blows the rest out of the water @ $1699.
I don't understand that comment. Supposedly the gen2 viper is better than the gen 1 at a similar price the gen1 was released at so how can it still not be a good value?

I don't understand that comment. Supposedly the gen2 viper is better than the gen 1 at a similar price the gen1 was released at so how can it still not be a good value?

It is a good scope, don't get me wrong but, in the last year or so, in the $1999 range and under there have been multiple new offerings that have changed the game. Meopta has been around for years but dosen't have the marketing budget to grow. The glass is superior, the construction is superior as well, but if you don't know about it you won't even look. Tract optics is another example! They sell directly to the public, no middle man (distributor) They use "Shot" glass and are assembled in Japan. They (Meopta and Tract) track like a blood hound! Americans (like you and me) are very BRAND conscious. I was as well. Some of the best optics in the world don't spend much on advertising. They concentrate more on Military and aerospace contracts where optics MUST cut it!
Vortex, a Chinese company now make decent scopes, but not compared to scopes you probably never heard of.

I own S&B , Kahales, Valdata, Nightforce, Swaroski (they own Kahles) the list goes on. From a price/value point, Vortex, a good scope, but not compared to Tract, Meopta Valdata and others available today. Check out the company history of some of these company histories and you'll begine to better understand. Start with Meopta, an amazing company. None of them pay me to say this, but the results I get does. Good luck brother.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.