Which reticle to choose

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by N10sivern, Dec 17, 2012.

1. N10sivern

N10sivern Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's been asked before but I couldn't find it. I'm building a long range hunting rifle in 6.5x55 but I also want to try my hand at some F class shoots for the heck of it. The scope I'm looking at comes in an MOA ranging reticle kinda like mildot with 1/4 moa turrets or a target dot or fine cross hair with 1/8th moa turrets.

2. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

First off I'd stay away from 1/8 clicks. With my Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA scope shooting 6mm Norma BR. with 105 VLDs I have to count 108 clicks from my 200 yd. zero to get out to 1,000 yds. with 1/4 MOA clicks. With 1/8 clicks I'd have to count 216 clicks. Way to many for me.

The reticule in my scope is one of the best you can get IMHP. The turrets are very repeatable. I also have a Vortex Custom Turret which is dead nuts accurate.

Look here: Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012

3. JeffP40

JeffP40 Well-Known Member

Don't count clicks, way too much work. Keep it simple. You don't want 1/8min., too fine for what you want. 1/4min. will be good. Figure out your drops at distance and use the numbers on the dial. Crank it to the appropriate place and shoot. Simple.