Which Reloader?

elkregulator

I am buying a new reloader and wanted to consult the forum as to which one to get. The general recommendation of the people around here is a Dillon. What is yours?
Thanks,

Dillon

I had a dillion but I did not get the accuracy out of it like a RCBS press. Problem with dillion progressive is it's a automatic powder charge. would be a pain to pull case out evey time to trickle powder just right. Never really tested to see how accurate the charge was with each type of powder but my groups definitly got smaller when I went back to a single stage operation. the RL550 would be great for an AR or pistol but for accuracy i would not use one...JMO

I have a lyman turret press and love it.The primer feed is great and there is not any slop in the handle what so ever.I can load 100 shell and they might be off 0.010 from the first to the last.

I have both a dillon and a old rcbs A2. I use the dillon for 223rem and handgun bullets. I use the rcbs for more precision loads not requiring near the volume to be reloaded. It depends on how much your going to be loading and how precise you want to get on your powder.

I had a Dillon and a Hornady progressive. They worked ok, but I never got used to them. I don't shoot much pistol, and I don't shoot match or service rifle matches any more, so I went back to what I'm comfortable with. I use a Rockchucker and a Big Max, and turn cases over in the loading block after each operation. The main thing is that after dropping powder, I look in the mouth of every case before seating bullets. I never got comfortable not looking into every case.
The Big Max is good for bullet seating the big Weatherbys. I don't have to tip the bullet up into the seater die, can just set them in the case mouth and stroke.
For high volume loading, the Dillon is good and they have good parts and tech support. Anything else, I would stay with a regular "O" frame press, a hand primer seater and a digital scale (keep your beam scale for the last word). Choice of powder measure is up to you. I have never had one that threw charges within 1/10th grain consistently. With a trickler into a scale pan you can finish every load to a 1/10th grain easily.

My opinion; what works for me. Tom

Elkregulator,
What type of shooting are you going to be doing? I have the Hornady API and it's accurate enough for me. Accuracy, like recoil, is a subjective thing. I loaded some .270 Winchester for a friend once and he went on and on about how they were the most accurate bullets he'd ever shot. I never target shot with him, so I don't know his definition of "accurate".
I haven't used mine in about 3 yrs now, but plan on doing so shortly. I usually don't load that kinda volume for either pistol or rifle. Whatever you plan on loading with it, make sure you have about 500-1000 rounds of supplies (i.e., cases, bullets, primers and powder) readily on hand. To me it's not worth cranking those presses up for less.
With that said, for most of my reloading, which includes load development, hunting, self and home defense, I use a RCBS RS-5. I have my Dad's RCBS Rockchucker as a spare, in case mine gives out.
So, what kind of ammo are you looking to reload with this new press? JohnnyK.

I use a Dillon 1050 and a 650. The 1050 I use for 223 and 223AI rifle and all the pistol ammo. I have no problem getting ammo that groups in the .2's out of my 223s. The 650 I use for 308,300WM, 300RUM, and 375 H&H and am able to get better than 1/2 moa ammo. So, I don't see that the accuracy of ammo assembled with the Dillons is sup par. I also use an RCBS rockchucker when I load small lots to do load developement. After I find the load quantity loading is done on the Dillons.
All that said, if you're not going to load a lot of ammo at one time the Dillons aren't what you want.

Thanks guys!
You're right, the guys that were recommending the Dillon reload for volume more then accuracy. While I plan on reloading some handgun rounds, I don't plan on shooting a few hundred rounds every weekend. It sounds like a rcbs is what I am looking for. I really appreciate everyone taking the time and sharing on your experience.

reloader

i have a redding t7 i also have a dillon 550 i like both very much. If i want to load 10 or less i always choose the redding if i'm going to reload 20 or more i use the dillon.

The dillon doesn't have to be used with the auto powder system. When used with the auto powder system my groups do not suffer any, but it works better with a ball powder or short cut powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.