Which Kit for First Time Reloader?

I do not even use my powder dump or trickler. Lee makes a variety pack of little plastic spoons. I use a large one to get close and a small one to tap in the rest (top it off). That is just as easy for me but I did it that way for ye ars before even finding out what a trickler was.

Somewhere, the CEO of a company manufacturing $1800 artificially intelligent automatic measuring self-automated powder dispensing robots just broke into a cold sweat. Plastic spoons?!?!? How do you sleep at night? :D

. Hey thanks for all the replies... lot of good input so far. I'm not necessarily locked into bass pro... i DO have a gift card there but I could always use it on some other BS. So I'm looking everywhere I suppose

I planned on upgrading to a digital scale no matter what... so I keep asking myself why bother getting a kit that has stuff I won't use? I think I'm going to have to piece this one together.

Hey dumb question... what's the difference between all the types of dies? I'm looking and there are neck sizer, full length sizer, seater, mandrel assembly? I know I'm being lazy as I'm sure all this information is in the book I purchased, I just haven't read it yet and I'm looking for the quick answer...

Thanks!

To answer your latest question, a full length sizing die does just that, reforms the case to SAAMI spec's down the full length (except the last 1/4" or so, and for that you'll need a small base die, but let's not go there yet). The neck sizer does not engage anything below the neck, resizing it only to ensure proper neck tension on the bullet.

I would add my two cents on the kits: make a list of what you have to have, and several here had fairly complete lists, but be cautious about the digital scale/dispensers. Personally, I didn't like them and still do my rifles with a powder throw and trickle to desired load. I have a friend who shoots match quality groups who uses a shell casing ground to a very specific length for a particular powder and load with a soldered handle on the side. Same thing as Lee's dipper spoons, but he's too cheap to buy a set and won't use the ones I gave him.

BTW, I used an old RCBS RS single stage press for 30 years, still have and use it.

Use your BPS credits for bullets/primers/powders if/when they get some.

Good luck and welcome to the insanity.

rick

Neck-Sizer dies are the way to go, IMO. That's all I use for my bolt-action rifles. It keeps the brass fire-formed to your chamber, therefore your loads are more accurate. Also, you aren't working the brass as much, so it helps your brass to last longer.

I, too, prefer RCBS equipment. I use their dies and presses. I use a Rocker Chucker Supreme single-stage press.

Great article. Thanks for the post. I finally broke down and purchased the "ABC's of Reloading." I'm a few chapters in already. Amazing how much you can learn in such a short amount of time. Once I get through this book I'll make my purchases for the equipment.

On a side note, I stopped at the store and checked out some of the presses first hand. Glad I checked them out first. Some of the ones I was interested in felt like **** in person.

Will keep you all posted...

Thanks, T

Okay... after some reading, some research, and much discussion... I believe I have everything narrowed down to my final selection. Before I take the plunge and purchase everything I wanted to hear y'alls opinions on the product selections.

From MidwayUSA, my reloading kit will be as followed....

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press - $67
Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set, includes seater, full length & neck resizer - $34
Lee Quick Trim Die - $9
Lee Quick Trim Case Trimmer - $15
Lyman E-ZEE Flo Universal Adjustable Powder Trickler - $18
Lyman Case Prep Multi Tool - $21
Lee Improved Powder Measure Kit - $11
Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Powder Scale -$30
Lyman Turbo Sonic 2500 Ultrasonic Case Cleaner - $110

Grand Total $315. I'll probably hold off on the ultrasonic cleaner for now as I won't need it until I reuse the new brass. So I'll only be out $205 up front... then I'll have the ole wifey gift me the cleaner for my bday :)

What do you pros think?

BDK

Get a Lee Classic Cast Press(if you are buying separate). Otherwise buy the Breechlock challenger kit.

Get a beam scale(one comes in the kit above).

If you get a Breechlock get some bushings for it.

I just use a fired cartridge case for trickling powder. It's quicker. you also need a funnel(comes in the kit above).A hand primer is good(one comes in the kit above).

Get a dial caliper.

Electronic scales(especially cheap ones) can't be trusted. If you want a decent scale at least buy a Gempro 250.

Swap out the challenger press for the classic cast. Ive had both and honestly would buy a new clasic cast before id take the challenger for free. Trust me, its that much better. Id also recommend a beam scale over the digita to a beginner but thats more personal preference. Otherwise looks good to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts