Which Primers?

HTG

I will be loading for a 7mm Remington mag with Nosler Brass. I am trying to decide between Federal 215 Primers or CCI large rifle magnum primers. Just wondering if there would be any difference for long range accuracy?

They can make a difference, check out the following webpage that did a primer strength test. Primer Testing Reference

I'd recommend working up a load with each, shooting over a chronograph and seeing which primer/powder combo works best. Get 100 of each to start.

My best 7mm Rem Mag load consists of the 162gr A-max, 70.2gr of RL22 and a Fed 9 1/2 primer (not magnum) in a Norma brass. It's not very hot in my 24" barrel and averages almost exactly 3000fps, but it is very consistent/accurate. This is above some listed loadings, the Norma brass I have seem to have a larger internal capacity than other brass I've used, and thus I usually end up with more powder for the same velocity than the books show (still with no pressure signs). So PLEASE work up your own load in your own rifle/brass etc.

AJ

Last edited:
Thanks, I was planning on buying the Federal 215 but everyone was out of stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.