Which Primers to use, when and why?

esshup

Are there any tips, hints or tricks on which primers to use when developing loads for accuracy without sending a bazillion rounds down range? I believe GG has a process that he uses, but I can't find it.

Cartridges at this point in time are:
.22-250
.243 Winchester
.257 Wby Mag
.270 Winchester
.30-06
.300 Win Mag
.45 acp
.480 Ruger

In the near future:
7mm AM

I'm going to be purchasing some primers/powder in the near future, and if I have to order them I want to bundle as much stuff together as possible to save on shipping/HazMat charges.

Thanks

not really, get 2 or 3 types that you've heard work well in your gun and cal. Talk to someone with same cal. not me no 7mm here - then load 5 up all exactly the same except diff primer in the next 5 loads, test shoot with chrony, work firing sequence 1 of primer A, next shot primer B, and Primer C, so on. Then go round again. Reord shot placements and velocities as always.. look for consistencies/inconsistencies, try to keep everything the same during firing. No other way, should take you a session at the range (15 or 20 shots) carefully delivered. my beer is getting warm, good luck.:D

I have had best results with the CCI-BR primers over all in the standard rifle calibers. With the Mag calibers either CCI 250 mag or Fed. 215 mag primers have given me the best results. Good luck in finding Federal 215's. For the 45 ACP most any large regular pistol primer will do. I use CCI or WW. For the 480 Ruger I am not sure. I don't own nor never have personally seen one. Some of those big high pressure rounds use large rifle primers instead of pistol primers.

For you powder and primers try Powder Valley Inc. they will ship powder and primers together for one haz-mat charge.

you can make it easy and just use a fed 215 or cci 250. In my tests a magnum primer is about the same as 2 grains of powder. these are easier for me to find locally and have had some loads that stayed within 3-5 fps for 3 shots.

Thanks guys. Some of the +'s and -'s of living in the country is no local (within 30 miles) gun shops that carry reloading supplies, and the one that does has a VERY limited supply of primers. At least I can shoot/chrono behind the house! I've bought from Powder Valley before and have been very satisfied with their service.

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.