Which PDA ballistics software???

Totch94

I am new to this forum and new to long range shooting and hunting, but I am diving off the deep end with equipment and I am looking into adding some ballistics software like Exbal or the Nightforce software on a PDA that could also be used on my Home PC or Laptop computers. I know very little about them, but I am starting to venture into the longer range stuff and would like to hear what expertise any of you have out there. What are you using? How much does it cost? Where did you get it? I tried to contact the company that makes Exbal, but there is no phone number on their website and my e-mail has so far gone unanswered. It better be good software the way customer service is starting off. Thanks for your input.

Exbal and Nightforce software are the same program. I use Exbal on my PC at home and Exbal on a Palm in the field. I wouldn't be without it.:)

According to their website the individual packages are $70.00 or you can get a combo package for the PC and Palm, or Pocket PC for $122.50. I have always had great support and have had any questions answered promptly. Maybe there's a good reason for the delay.

If the delay bothers you that much there are other software packages by other people out there that do pretty much the same thing. "meichele" on LRH has a good software package and I also use it on my home PC. "Gustavo" on LRH also has a software package but so far I haven't use his.....yet.

SS7mm

Thank you for your help. I shouldn't be so grumpy as to the customer service issues as I was. I'm sure there is some reason for it. I did look at the website and was very impressed with the information that I saw. Can you suggest a PDA for this software? I do not currently carry one, but can see that I would want it on my PC, Laptop and a PDA. What should I expect to pay for a good PDA to run this software? Do you know if the company sells one already loaded with the software? Thanks for your help.

David

While the current version of LoadBase 2.0 is targeted for the desktop, a mobile version is in the works. Same features of course. All licensed users will have it as a free option. The target platform will be the PocketPC under Windows Mobile 5 or CE 4.2 ( aka PocketPC 2003 ). Please let me know if I can be of any help to answer any doubt.

Last edited:
Can you suggest a PDA for this software? I do not currently carry one, but can see that I would want it on my PC, Laptop and a PDA. What should I expect to pay for a good PDA to run this software? Do you know if the company sells one already loaded with the software? Thanks for your help.

This is now a kind of a sensitive reply for me because of the response of Gustavo. I'll answer your question but don't take anything I say as being negative towards Gustavo or his software. I personally use a Palm and find it completely satisfactory for the field software. I don't need or want something to run other applications when I'm shooting or hunting and the Palms are so low in price that I consider them a throw away piece of equipment if lost or damaged. As near as I know, Exbal/Perry sells only the software and not the hardware, and I believe Nightforce is the same way.

By the way, you can go here
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/quest-for-ballistics.php on the LRH home page and read Gustavo's great write up on ballistics software.
;) His offer of free software for licensed users for their Pocket Pc might be something that would sway your decision as to what hardware to buy.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll find whatever software you choose to be a great asset both at home and in the field.

Totch,

I went through the same delema not too long ago. Which program, which PDA, which operating system, etc.

I needed to determine which OS first since it needed to be user friendly, supported, and available. I know windows based OS's first so thats what I went with. Where as the Palm OS is different. At least that is what my bro-in-law told me when he offered to give me one of his Palms....he's dripping in $ compared to me. But, I was already feeling overwelmed with trying to get into this stuff. Thus my decison to go to a Windows based OS.

I then decided I wanted a dedicated pocket pc for LRH only. That way I 1)wasn't breaking the bank and 2) if it went down, it was only thing to go down and not my phone, GPS, internet, etc. I read, start to finish, Gerald Perry's EXBAL site and the Field Firing Solutions web site. Actually conversed, 1st via email, then via phone with Gerald and then the developer of FFS (can't remember his name at the moment). Gerald suggested I talk to the owner of the company which sells the ACI in Colorado, since he has extensive experience with both programs. I did and I settled on EXBAL; not because he talked me into it, but for my purposes, EXBAL made sense.

I then started looking at pocket pc's on Amazon.com and their customer reviews. I settled on the iPAQ 2210or 2215. The only difference is one was retailed and the other was not retailed. Simple, effective, not too old or expensive. I then started watching Ebay and settled on a few different 2210's. The bidding began. It took me about 2 weeks but I finally won a used 2210 which seemed practically new. It cost me $110 plus $8 shipping. In addition to the standard battery, which so far has been great, it came with a huge 900 mhz battery which will be the backup for hunting. I then ordered the dual pack from EXBAL and the rest is history. I love it!

This is what I'm looking for a palm based PDA software using Pejas' calculation. I keep reading that people are putting the tables on a PDA with one of the spreadsheets available. Are they just putting a document or table on it? I didn't think there was enough power to run a spreadsheet program on a Palm.

Now, where do you get your drag coefficients? To me it has always seemed that shooting and measuring would be the best. But I could be wrong.

Could someone give me a review of Pejas software on a PDA? Not much information on his site

Does any of this matter to me since my self impossed limit is going to be 600 yards to start?

What about SSF on a PDA? Does it give accurate windage and elevation? I've played with it on a palm emulator and it's user interface is ok.

If exbal is "the one" then I'll gladly buy it.

I plan on shooting to 600 yards to verify everything. But I want to spend wisely to be able to go beyond that distance.
I have Ballistics 4.13 and it seemed to always work to 600.

What I'm looking for is advise from someone who has been there and done that. I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Sorry for all the questions and I freely admit to flappin lips syndrome.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.