Which ballistic software is right?

loosesniper2000

Hey guys, I want to get your opinion on this. So far I have 4 different ballistic programs and have found out they all put out different info based on the same loading data. My question is why the discrepancy? For example, 2 read appox. 5 moa difference at 1200 yards!
Here's what I have:
Sierra infinity, Nightforce-(Exbal), iStrelok (for my Iphone) and my Chronograph (pact)
From what I've found the most accurate is the Nightforce. I'm blessed to be able to walk out my backdoor and shoot out to close 2000 yards from my bench in the yard so I mess around a good bit with it.
Thanks for any info

I too have tried several including the LB3.0. I am now back to using the exbal (Nightforce) program. It simply works best for me for my first round hits.

I know what my rifle does for spin drift, and I don't feel I can read the wind perfectly enough to where the Coriolis affect is worth my time. I truely feel some see wind affects and call them coriolis. In fact I feel when you factor in human error, and the accuracy of the rifle, accuracy of ammo, coriolis is hardly something we can consistantly see in our equation.

Some use it and sware by it. But my advice is use the NF program, tweek the tradjectory validations till you are on at 700 and 1100 and go for it. Spend more time learning to read the wind and practicing. This time spent will pay off more than playing with complex programs at your computer desk.

JMO

Jeff gun)gun)

Last edited:
I agree with your assertion that the Coriolis affect is a waste of time. I have fired tens of thousands of rounds and never had the slightest hint that it affected the bullet. (side note) it's strange how they never videoed the earth rotating, it's always stationary) anyway I competed in 1000 yard Benchrest for years and won the VA state Championship back in 99 with a 2 group aggregate of 4.5" and 49.5 score for light gun. I shot a 4.004 with a group score of 50 with 3 shots in 5/8 of an inch that ate the x out. I said that to back up my credentials. These programs are nice even though they differ but like you said the wind is the biggest obstacle when shooting. I've shot 1500yds with 6 different flags pointing in all different directions. Show me program that will accommodate that.
I'm with you on the Nightforce

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.