Which once-fired headstamp do I keep?

I have and shoot a lot of 270 Win. Specific to that caliber.

Federal is crap, and I get 2-3 firing before the primer pockets are loose.
Remington seems fine, and has the lowest H2O capacity - so this will save you 1-2 grains of powder per case for the same velocity.
Old Winchester is awesome, especially the WW and Super. New Winchester not so much.
Hornady feels different (different brass composition), but is holding up ok. However weights are all over the place and range from 172-179 grains.

I guess your definition and my definition of a ton is different. I've got over 3000 270 Win cases.

You need to sort them by volume AFTER you have de-burred flash holes, run through expander and/or Neck die and trim if necessary.
I buy 200 at a time and sort from there, I normally get 2 volume ranges, but at the moment having just finished another Sendero in 300WM, at the prices the brass is here, I have only bought 100 pieces of brass. So far, it is close in volume, so all good, and I got 4 extra pieces and only ONE dud outta the lot.
Bought 100 pieces for my STW as well, only one dud there too.
Brass is over $2.10 a piece here lately.

Cheers.

In these times where getting any component is much harder than it should be (if at all),
I would not get rid of any of them. If it were my horse to ride, I would separate them accordingly,
pick the batch I liked, and put the rest up. If this mess lasts a while, brass you don't like is better than no brass.

I've got a TON of .270 Win brass from my days of shooting factory ammo. I've got roughly 60 pieces of each once fired Winchester, Remington, Federal brass and Federal Nickel plated. I only want to keep ONE group of 60, and naturally want to keep the best one. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you in advance!
Given the today's trends in the availability of reloading supplies, I wouldn't get rid of any just yet, ( except the nickel plated ) until you can replace it with the brand you choose to keep. So instead of having just 60 of one brand, I would have 180 -200 pieces.

Say you decide to keep the Remington, when you can acquire 50 or 60 pieces of NEW Remington brass, then swap or sell 50 -60 of the Winchester/Federal and so on. Doesn't take that much more space, put it into a gal Zip Loc , squeeze the air out, shove it in a 1 ½ lb Folgers container . As to brand, It depends on when it was manufactured. At one time, say 1989, Winchester brass was considered as one of the best. Mostly because the primer pockets and flash holes were more uniform and didn't require any/as much prep. But things have changed since then. So be cognizant of when you purchased this brass/ammo and how many times it was once fired.

I have always ordered/stockpiled brass and bullets ( yeah, I'm that guy). Since ordering on-line emerged, every time I placed an order with Brownells, Midway, etc, I would always include brass and bullets.

Keep it all !
When I first started reloading, I shot every and any ! I let the brass "speak for itself"... I did find Federal had shortest life... I found ALL could be loaded MOA at 100-200 yard hunting loads. As I got into accuracy shooting longer ranges... I found brass choice/prep/quality very important.

I heard that Federal had purchased the Remington Ammunition manufacturing . Maybe now is the time to let Federal know what we like and don't like about their product/brass etc.

Vista Outdoors, which is the parent company of Federal, CCI, RCBS, Speer, Alliant Powder (as well as many others) bought the ammo division of Remington.

They generally keep the original brand, factory, formula, etc., so I don't see anything changing at Remington or Federal.

all of them... it's a 270, not a hot rod... it will not really matter unless you are too close to the top to the load at all... I've got over 500 270 win rounds loaded and the only thing I do is segregate what's in each box of ammo. I even have some necked down 30-06 stuffed... They all shoot...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.