Now that I got some once fired Brass

G

What would be the best way to set up my Redding Type S f/L bushing die. I have read a few things about setting the shoulder back 1 thou for bolt actions. OK easy enough, but after measuring my brass with a stoney point headspace guage I show the sizes to be different Headspace wise. Some of the brass is 1-1.5 thou different than each other. Is this because the cases are not yet formed to the chamber?

Sinclair says to neck size only until after the 2 or 3rd firing. Is that the case?

I guess I should just keep firing new brass till I get a good amount of fired stuff...then worry about it?

Any help would be great

Joe

[ QUOTE ]
What would be the best way to set up my Redding Type S f/L bushing die. I have read a few things about setting the shoulder back 1 thou for bolt actions. OK easy enough, but after measuring my brass with a stoney point headspace guage I show the sizes to be different Headspace wise. Some of the brass is 1-1.5 thou different than each other. Is this because the cases are not yet formed to the chamber?

Sinclair says to neck size only until after the 2 or 3rd firing. Is that the case?

I guess I should just keep firing new brass till I get a good amount of fired stuff...then worry about it?

Any help would be great

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

FORGET NECKSIZING!

run it in the FL die till you get 0.001-2 bump on the shoulder -- then they will ALL be the same ALL the time!

Your different measurements may be technique, because 50KPSI should have formed those cases /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif -- also may be crud/goop on the bearing surfaces of the tool -- take the lowest reading and subtract 1 thou from it -- set up you FL die to HIT that number

Redding's comp shellholder set makes this easy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

JB

Thats what I ended up doing. I think I'm still gonna use new brass until I get a good amount of once fired then move on. 50KPSI?? Where did you get that number? Is this too much pressure?? Am I being unsafe?? Primers etc seemed fine

Joe

Joe -- 50K is a little low, corresponding to your somewhat light 44831sc load /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

just an arbitrary number to prove my point that there was enough pressure to form the brass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

hey jb, is the stoney point accurate to .001?could be differences in readings? sinclair international quoted "it is not as accurate as the sinclair tool,but easier to use" several buddies and i ordered the sinclair and bullet comparators,but i havent seen yet. also i had a firewood cutting and hauling weekend and missed mifflin shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif,but switched to 100smk for next one.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any help would be great

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

FORGET NECKSIZING!

run it in the FL die till you get 0.001-2 bump on the shoulder -- then they will ALL be the same ALL the time!

Your different measurements may be technique, because 50KPSI should have formed those cases /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif -- also may be crud/goop on the bearing surfaces of the tool -- take the lowest reading and subtract 1 thou from it -- set up you FL die to HIT that number

Redding's comp shellholder set makes this easy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post JB.
When you size the cases with the FL die it will force the shoulder up and then set them all back exactly the same, even if there is a slight variation in them this time for some reason.

Keep your die up so it doesn't touch the shoulder on the first one and measure to the shoulder to see how much it increased in length when sizing then screw the die down 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn at a time and keep measuring and checking it in the chamber until the bolt just closes. The end measurement will most likely be .001 - .002 back from your longest fired cases and your die is properly setup.

Like JB said, they will be the same EVERY time you fire them now.

[ QUOTE ]
hey jb, is the stoney point accurate to .001?could be differences in readings? sinclair international quoted "it is not as accurate as the sinclair tool,but easier to use" several buddies and i ordered the sinclair and bullet comparators,but i havent seen yet. also i had a firewood cutting and hauling weekend and missed mifflin shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif,but switched to 100smk for next one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark -- tis only as accurate as your calipers right?

thats why i said: "Your different measurements may be technique"

Oh, and good idea on the 100SMK's -- they always worked WELL in my 25-O

Cheers,
JB

yep,i'm learning the "bump" .001feel now in prep for the mighty AI. i take it you got your 6.5-284? did you use it at mifflin or w-port? .....score??? minor hijack e-mail..me

Thanks for the help everyone.

I ended up doing the die off the shell holder then screwing it down like suggested. Funny thing once it was right Or so I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The die was touching the shellholder anyway.

Joe

LL -- it has to touch the shellholder, and then some to take out the slack in the press linkage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BN -- always had the 6.5 (orange one) -- it is for williamsport use only for hte rest of the year -- won my relay for score in the crapy wind, but blew the shootoff -- im waiting on a 6br, not a 6.5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

shot my dads 6.5 at mifflin.

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.