Which kit do I buy??

BigDaddyKane

I'm looking into purchasing one of the starter kits from either RCBS (the Supreme Master Reloading Kit) or Lee's (Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Kit). They seem to have the same equipment included but RCBS is about 170$ more. Granted they have a $50 rebate offered which would drop to about $120 more.

Anybody have suggestions? Should I go with one of these kits? Or should I just buy pieces individually?

Thanks for the input!

I started with the RCBS kit, then sold the parts I didn't want and have steadily acquired the rest of the gear that I do want.

The RCBS press is much better quality than the Lee.

I bought the Lee Breach Lock Kit and have no regrets. It does the job and produces excellent ammo, for a lot less money. You can buy a chevy, or a cadillac. They both run well and will get you there on time.

Forget about the kits. Buy individual pieces. The kits have some good pieces and some beginner pieces which you'll end up replacing so it's not a bargain. Buy the RCBS Rock Chucker press, RCBS 10-10 powder scale and the RCBS powder measure and you won't have to ever upgrade. Get a good set of died and a shell holder. Everything else is just mud flaps.

+1 on Treebark's advise. You'll want to upgrade to suit your personal loading style, no matter what kit you choose to start with.

My bench has a variety of brands on it now a days. Each tool fits my style best for this or that. But for getting started rolling your own, a kit is helpfull. It gives you time to see what & how each piece functions & what pieces need to be added or upgraded, all the while your still able to load rounds.

If I may add another brand to consider, Hornady Lock-n-Load is very simmilar in price to the RCBS kit. I absolutely love my L-n-L press with the quick change bushings. Set the die up once, & your done. No fiddeling with anything, & swiching gears takes mere seconds. Very convienient, & easy to use.

Honestly this is the "Kit" I would do if I could do it over again.

Lee perfect powder measure
Forster Co-Ax
Lee collet neck die
Hornady FL sizer and seater die with micrometer adjustment
Powder scale is up in the air for me. Mostly depends on budget. Probably for accuracy a beam scale.

There is better stuff out there but this gives me the best results for the money.

+1 on Treebark's advise. You'll want to upgrade to suit your personal loading style, no matter what kit you choose to start with.

My bench has a variety of brands on it now a days. Each tool fits my style best for this or that. But for getting started rolling your own, a kit is helpfull. It gives you time to see what & how each piece functions & what pieces need to be added or upgraded, all the while your still able to load rounds.

If I may add another brand to consider, Hornady Lock-n-Load is very similar in price to the RCBS kit. I absolutely love my L-n-L press with the quick change bushings. Set the die up once, & your done. No fiddling with anything, & switching gears takes mere seconds. Very convenient, & easy to use.
The LNL kit is a great value for sure it was my first set up and I use it today untill I can afford the Coax.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.