Which long range bullet has best ballistic performance for mid to varm

superlite17

Hi all, just want your opinion. I want the most accurate calibre for long range varmint and also target. Have been looking at 223 204 220 swift then the more research i do i also come up with 6ppc but cannot find any rifles for it.

I have never bought one of these mid size calibre before but it would seem that statistically speaking, that there would be one that was the most accurate long range from looking at coefficient data, etc.

If possible I want to get the most accurate accurate, repeatable calibre made. Work up my loads and really have fun shootin a gnat's *** at 200 yards!

Any suggestions???

Thanks - Rod

Re: Which long range bullet has best ballistic performance for mid to

Hi Build a 6mmBR you will not be disapointed. for light projectiles a 10 twist is fine after 85gr an 8 twist is best and that allows you to use 107gr projectiles and the rifle will shoot to 1000 yards. I do all my varmint shooting with a rechambered Rem 700 VLS that was a 243 and when new rechambered it to 6mmBR so it has the factory barrel is trued and bedded with the trigger adjusted. I shoot 55gr BlitzKings out of it and they are going at 3400fps in the barrel after it has been cut to 22". I shoot it regularly past 400 yards and have shot this load on paper at 700 yards and it still groups but a heavier projectile is best past 400 yards.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Cheers Bill
Australia

WOW! I know very little about custom build guns, really just started reloading this year. I have a .17 and shoot a 7 mag for large game, and even at one time found an article stating its overall ahape (that of the 7s) had the best rating for large game.

I have found at the range, I really love the CONCEPT of extreme accuracy, and want to persue it.

But you get so much conflicting info, however i have found some great stuff on the 6mm which is consistant with what you are saying, but i believe i also read it was same as 243. Plus are we talking 6mm PPC or 6mm BR, i read one is long range and one is short! So is this that perfect calibre? Are there any manufacturers that make it, i have read Savage is close to custom in terms of accuracy.

Plus, from an unbiassed aproach, it would seem with all we know about term velocity, wind drag, coeficients, that there would be ACTUAL DATA that says "this calibre is it" while not great for large game/small game, etc... but these numbers indicate this is the best. Do you know what i mean, with the shape of said projectile, drag, reistance, etc. etc., such and such amount of power will launch this projectile straighter and farther than any other shape bullet. Is there information indicating such things, or does anybody know??? Is there a list anywhere?

Anything that takes this "my favorite calibre thing" out of the realm of subjective discussion and puts it into objective data? Does that make sense?

I have found on some sniper forums where they indicate the .50 but that does not make sense to me, and if so... what projectile is second?

Thanks All - Rod

i have a semi custum 223 savage (just added a stock and bedded) that shots great i shoot it out to 600 all the time with black hills reman 69 gr smk under 1/2" moa. i also have a 243 savage bvss that i glass bedded and it shot wonderful. i shoot it out to 800-1000 i load for it shooting 95gr vld's @ 3170 well under 1/2" moa savage is a great rifle and the bvss is the best one if you ask me well under 1/2moa

I think that the problem your going to run into is the term "BEST" is different from one shooter to another and what the intended targets are. For critters, somethig that shoots under 1/2" out to 200yds is generally decent enough. for paper punching, something which will go into 1/4" or less at 100 is what folks look for.

Overall, the short 6mm's shoot lights out, however so do several of the 22 cal's as well as the higher calibers. For the ranges your suggesting, the .223 - .243 caliber rounds will suffice very well depending on the intended target, bullet weights, velocity, and conditions at the time.

Personally, if I were looking to put together a decent 200yd or so varmint rig that I was going to shoot the day lights out of I would go with a .223 or .223 AI with a 1-12 twist. I really do not see a need for the faster twist and heavier bullets out to 300 yds. A 55gr bullet in this round is pleanty for great accuracy and decent performance on medium varmints. Factory ammo is cheap, components are cheap and available in several makes, as well as if you really want to pinch pennies, there is a ton of surplus stuff out there.

I have a Contender that shoots a hell of a lot tighter than I can hold it chambered in 223 AI. It has shot several groups under 1/2" at 200yds and this was with Winchester 45gr factory .223 loads. In fact, I have had it for 8 years and only put about 50 handloads through it due to this. It is just so much easier to grab a handful of the factory stuff and know it is going to shoot so well, I don't even bother loading for it. I do have a ton of formed cases though, should I decide to.

Bottom line is there are a lot of inherently accurate rounds out today and with the available components, and loading hardware, it is truely amazing what sort of groups can be turned out with some careful handloading. Not only this but even the factory stuff is **** fine from what it was ten years ago. You will just have to decide on what your furtherest ranges will be, how much you want to shoot, and just how detailed you want to get in the loads. That however is the fun of it all. It really doesn't matter what you pick out, if your enjoying shooting it and loading for it you will enjoy the experience.

As for the most accurate of all, based on scores from the matches, I would say the 6mm's, as to just which one, well I am not going to even guess, but the BR and PPC have to be leading the pack.

Good luck and enjoy yourself, no matter what you decided on.

I believe the Savage varmint rifles are now available in 223 and 22-250 with a 1-9 twist barrel. With this twist you would be able to shoot the 75 gr A-Max bullets with great results. I would opt for the 223 for a target rifle, probably the 22-250 for a longer range varminter.

FOr a lower priced factory rifle these would be very hard to beat.

That said, if you want real accuracy, a custom rifle will be a better investment for your money.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts