which kestrel meter

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by asa, Nov 12, 2007.

1. asa

asa Well-Known Member

thinking of purchasing a kestrel, which model would be recomended for longrange shooting.

2. Down Under Hunter

Down Under Hunter Well-Known Member

I asked the same question not long ago and was told without doubt, the minimum to run with exbal was 3500 kestrel. Thats what I got. Do a search under Kestrel and you will find my thread with all the kestrels compared with one another.

DUH

3. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Which one depends upon the range at which you shoot, your ability with simple math, and your finances.

For distances up to 800 yards or so, a simple wind meter will do. For distances up to 1K, a simple wind meter will do if you can estimate your altitude and the current temperature (hint: water freezes at 32 degrees ) and either enter it into your program or apply correction factors to your drop chart number.

For distances much past 1K, you should get serious about the exactness of everything and buy the 3500.

4. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

why would you get the 3500 instead of the 2500?

5. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

Only so that you could enter humidity. It's really an insignificant data entry that a lot of people don't use, but if you're anal and want to use everything then the 3500 lets you enter humidity.

6. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

my understanding from the very experienced is that humidity is not even worth compensating for. the 2500 will give you the altitude and barometric pressure along with the regular stuff. that's all i'm gonna deal with.