Kestrel Advice

PingGong3

I'm looking to buy a kestrel and I'm trying to decide which to buy. I'm looking at the 5700 and 5700 elite. Is there a huge advantage to the kestrel elite over the regular 5700? Also, should I do hornady 4dof or applied ballistics?

Thanks

Yes, but I would argue not for hunting. Typically a hunter doesn't want to shoot at velocities much under 1800 fps. The advanced software of the elite is more accurate, but does it matter at that speed, I'd guess.

The software between the 5700 Ballistic and the 5700 Elite are the same, Applied Ballistics, as per the Kestrel website. The firing solutions are the same. The Elite has more features that the Ballistic. I can't comment on the 4dof, as I have no experience with that software. Google search Panhandle Precision, Sam Millard. He has some good videos comparing the two models. They are several years old, but still very informative. Also, the Kestrel website has some good educational videos.

The software between the 5700 Ballistic and the 5700 Elite are the same, Applied Ballistics, as per the Kestrel website. The firing solutions are the same. The Elite has more features that the Ballistic. I can't comment on the 4dof, as I have no experience with that software. Google search Panhandle Precision, Sam Millard. He has some good videos comparing the two models. They are several years old, but still very informative. Also, the Kestrel website has some good educational videos.
The elite lets you use DSF and custom drag curves. DSF isn't really valuable unless you're shooting past your bullet's transonic range, but custom drag curves are more accurate than G1 or G7 BCs. The solvers are the same otherwise.

Buy a 5700, if you decide you need or want the features of the elite you can upgrade the firmware for $300. The price is the same in the end. You can't do that if you get the 4DoF version.

As a competition shooter I value the extra features you get with the elite, and have found custom curves are more accurate than G1 or G7 BCs. As a hunter I haven't found the need for anything other than the extra profiles and don't shoot far enough for the advantage of CDMs to matter.

When I set the same parameters in the Hornady app, ballistic calculator and my Kestrel I get different dopeing, the Hornady ballistic calculator, and the 4dof the results are way different. I used a kestrel for the environmentals, bluetoothed to the hornday the app and my holdover seem to be on point especially elevation however, at some PRS matches most of the guys who win, only use the kestrel. I brought 7guns out to 1000 yard range last week and every one of them worked perfectly with the Hornady ballistic calculator.

When I set the same parameters in the Hornady app, ballistic calculator and my Kestrel I get different dopeing, the Hornady ballistic calculator, and the 4dof the results are way different. I used a kestrel for the environmentals, bluetoothed to the hornday the app and my holdover seem to be on point especially elevation however, at some PRS matches most of the guys who win, only use the kestrel. I brought 7guns out to 1000 yard range last week and every one of them worked perfectly with the Hornady ballistic calculator.
So are you saying get the Hornady one? Or you ???? I am a total newby at this never used an app.

I am thinking of jumping into this rabbit hole myself. LOL

I struggled with the same decision last year and ended up getting the 5700 with AB. I love the Hornady 4DOF app on my phone but at the end of the day I wanted the option to upgrade to the elite (upgrade is same cost as the difference between initial purchase of the 5700 vs 5700 elite). I also wanted my Kestrel to work with range finding binos and the Hornady version doesn't integrate as well with the range finding binos I was considering (all of the RF binos I was considering used AB software). In the end, I got the 5700 with AB and the Vortex HD 5000 AB and I am completely happy with my choice. I don't compete so do not need the extras that come with the Elite, and if I someday do want/need the extras, I can upgrade for the same cost.

My opinion on Kestrels is get a rangefinder with the ballistics and find a Kestrel that does wind and Bluetooth only. You don't want the fancy Kestrel if your rangefinder/binocular does that stuff ballistics stuff already. You just want.wind and maybe Bluetooth so you don't have to manually put it into your device for your dope.