Which die boxes?

Bigeclipse

I started getting into competition dies but with the lee lock rings I like using, the boxes won't close. What options are you all using?

Last edited:
Hornady boxes are designed to hold the three dies with lock rings and Hornady bushings.

I remember seeing the boxes available on their own, I just can't remember where.

Forster die boxes can do the same, but I've never come across them on their own.

I found boxes like these at my local hardware

Clear Airtight perspex box.

I use the smaller version for 3 normal dies, and there is a slightly larger one that can take 3 large body dies.

I've also seen them at outdoor equipment stores, they are used to keep phones and wallets dry in backpacks.

Hornady boxes are designed to hold the three dies with lock rings and Hornady bushings.

I remember seeing the boxes available on their own, I just can't remember where.

Forster die boxes can do the same, but I've never come across them on their own.

I found boxes like these at my local hardware

Clear Airtight perspex box.

I use the smaller version for 3 normal dies, and there is a slightly larger one that can take 3 large body dies.

I've also seen them at outdoor equipment stores, they are used to keep phones and wallets dry in backpacks.
Do you have a link to the large box? I'm interested in these as they appear to be pretty air tight which is nice for moisture reduction.

Do you have a link to the large box? I'm interested in these as they appear to be pretty air tight which is nice for moisture reduction.

This is what you can look for :

Grip waterproof large.

grip-boxes.jpg

On the left if the large version, the dies are large body, and there is space for the Lee Factory Crimp die and the press adapter.

On the right is the small box with 3 normal sized dies with the bushings.

These boxes are handy for when you want to store an additional die with the set, or when you buy single dies to make up a set, and of course perfect for keeping moisture out if you have humidity problems.

I use mostly Redding dies with a micrometer adjustable seater. Once they are properly adjusted, the micrometer head is too long to fit in the box. This was very short-sighted of Redding IMO.

I carefully cut/grind out a hole in the end of the box so that the adjustable head sticks through when the box is closed. Its a silly solution but works well enough. It would have been much better if Redding put a knock-out plug in the edge of the box so it could easily be removed if necessary. They weren't impressed when I called and suggested it. :rolleyes:

Actually, a longer box for their dies with adjustable seaters is the obvious solution.

I use mostly Redding dies with a micrometer adjustable seater. Once they are properly adjusted, the micrometer head is too long to fit in the box. This was very short-sighted of Redding IMO.

Yes, I have many, many of these, and I agree - Redding really dropped the ball here. I buy the Hornady boxes, which work great, but I shouldn't have to spend even more money after dropping hundreds for Redding's competition die sets!

Here's the Hornady boxes from MidwayUSA:

Regards,
sab

I use these for my redding dies with the micrometer top .

These are the ones I use as well. I use Redding competition dies and they are long as well as the Forster lock rings. I can usually squeeze an FC die in there on certain calibers as well as a couple
of dummy rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.