Which die set?

Guinness

Greetings,

I need to buy dies to begin reloading (1st time reloader) for the 300 Win Mag I hope to pick up from the gunsmith very soon. Lots of options out there but Redding seems to be a good place to start and I like that I've been able to easily find die sets with the micrometer seater die so I don't need to piecemeal everything together. If Forster sells their micrometer seater die in a set, I haven't seen it.

Anyway, please point me in a direction. Which of these do I choose and why? And any ideas why the Redding 3 die premium deluxe set (full length size, neck size & micometer seater) costs less coin than the Master Hunter set (full length size & micrometer seater)?

Premium Deluxe - $124.99

PREMIUM DELUXE DIE SETS | Brownells

Master Hunter - $131.99

MASTER HUNTER DIE SETS | Brownells

Thanks for your time and advice.

Regards,

G

Not sure why one set costs more but a call to Redding would clear that up. I have used many brands of dies and my favorites are RCBS, Redding, Bonanza. You can't go wrong with Redding. Their machining is great...as is their customer service. Don't hesitate to save a spend bucks with dies (or any reloading equip for the matter). This stuff will last a life time and you don't want anything that will give you problems.

Remember, only rich people can afford to by cheap stuff.

you are just starting to stick your toe into deep deep water.

what is this rifle for?

just hunting? you will find your bullet and COL and probably never change it. No need for a micrometer head. I would just get this to start. Forster dies are as good or better than redding and less expensive.

Forster Bench Rest 2-Die Set 300 Winchester Mag

Long range shooting? In the search for ever smaller groups there are so many different sizing dies and methods same with bullet seating. You are just beginning the quest of a lifetime. Lots of expensive toys.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.