Which Barrel

roshjohn

Hi Guys

New to the forum and need a little help. Planning on building my first custom elk gun for 600-800 yards in 3oo RUM. This is what I have so far

Borden Timberline action
McMillan Edge Stock
Jewel Trigger
Muzzle Brake
Action fully bedded and barrel free floated
Night force 5.5x22x50

The problem I have is the barrel and which one? ....(Lilja, Gaillard,Pac-Nor Super Match,Shilen Select Match) How do you guys decide ?
Which rate of twist should I get, 10 to 1 or 12 to 1 ?( plan on using berger 210)
What is the difference between the contours? Does my stock determine the contours or my caliber.

How does this package look?. Would you change anything?. Any thoughts appreciated

Thank you

For the barrel choice I would suggest asking your gunsmith his preference and go from there. There are many great barrel makers and if your gunsmith has a preference for one of them, that would be a wise choice.

Your component choices are top notch. I use and reccomend Kreiger, Hart, Broughton and Llja barrels. If your planning on using the 210 Bergers I would go with a 1-10 twist. The stock forearm will determine the barrel contour you can use. I believe the Mcmillan Edge can accomodate up to a factory magnum barrel contour or a contour similiar to a #3 contour. Which Kreigers #3 is 1.250 breech diameter for 2.750" then a sharp taper to .830" 6" from the breech then a gently taper to .630" at the muzzle with a finish length of 24". Or something very similiar in size.

Thanks for the responce....

The rifle is a package that I can customize , they list several barrels and I was unsure on the difference between them.

Hi we sre having great results with Lawton Barrels but I would gonwith you smiths prefered brand people who use a lot of one brand get used to their differences. The other thing is stay with a 10 twist but go to a 338 Edge it will give you double the barrel life as you will be practicing it is also easier to tune and the 300gr Sierra's take a lot to beat with with a 30CaL.

JMO

Cheers Bill

last year I had both Lilja and Krieger barrels installed on separate rifles. Both barrels are great shooters and would order again from either company. I used two different smiths and went with thier recommendations.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.