Which Savage?

ergceo

I'm looking for my first 223 bolt gun. I want a Savage with the accutrigger and the accustock. I'm torn between the model 11 and the model 10 predator hunter. I'm not concerned about camo, as I am handy with krylon, but am torn between the barrel contours. Standard sporter vs medium contour. What to do?

Thoughts and opinions?

Thx.

New coyote hunter in MO.

Between the two you are considering I would go with the mdl 10 Predator. I have a Predator in 22-250 and 4 other Savage bolt guns. One thing to think about is the trigger, on the 10 it will go down to 1.5lbs but only down to 2.5lbs on the 11. You will also have less barrel vibration with the heavier barrel and it will run cooler.

My Predator is one of my favorite guns. I shoot SBK 55gr and get 3725fps out of the 22" barrel. My last 3 shot group was .156" My gun wears a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42. The newer Predator with the camo stock and black flutted barrel is 24" the others are 22".

You'll be happy with whatever one you go with, and you'll be hooked on Savage.

I would have to agree that I think it is hard to go wrong with a Savage. They are not the prettiest gun on the market, but boy do they shoot like a house on fire. If you are planning to shoot multiple rounds in a string, you are going to want the heavier barrel. The thinner barrels can get fairly warm after only 3-4 rounds. Also, I would opt for the lighter trigger if you plan to shoot any distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.