Which barrel to use for caliber swap ?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Tang, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Tang

Tang Well-Known Member

I talked to a gun smith this morning about rebarreling my .300 RUM SF-II, and bedding the action. I just prefer the .338 bullets, so I'm having it switched to .338 Edge. I chose the Edge over the .338 RUM, for ease of forming brass, and I have plenty of .300 RUM brass. I want the Sendero contour, and 26" length. Shilen lists a barrel as Sendero contour, so I'm leaning that way.

2. Kiwi Nate

Kiwi Nate Well-Known Member

Sounds good. The longer and fatter it is, the lower the recoil, especially the upwards force of the recoil. Have you thought about having a brake fitted or perhaps a suppressor to reduce recoil and aid accuracy?. I am a bit over big recoiling rifles these days, I have a couple that beat me sideways which I am these days tired of shooting. If I were to build them again, I would either go fat contour and 28" long or medium contour and stainless suppressed.

3. sniperjwt

sniperjwt Well-Known Member

i agree with the above statement. Go long and go heavy

4. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

I would say go with at least a 27" if not longer barrel. If it's not a carry rifle, I would probably go with a 30" barrel. For a carry rifle, I would go 27-28", and the 5R rifling seems to be popular. Another thing to consider is the new high BC bullets coming out which might require a tighter twist if you're interested in them.

-Mark

5. Tang

Tang Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys. It's not a carry rifle. My carry rifle is a Ruger .338 Win Mag. The Sendero was bought for sitting over large cut corn fields around here. I wanted it for 400-500 yard shots. Which isnt much to most guys on this forum.

I have a couple of friends that are trying to convince me that I dont need a .338. Which if need is the base, then I dont need a .300 RUM to take deer, but I wanted one for just that :) I suppose the 200gr Accubond pushed over 3000fps is definetly stepping into .338 territory.

6. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Sounds from your last post that it will be used sitting so +1 w/montanarifleman on a 30". No experience with 5R but, have heard some folks here have had some good results.

Need or not...I say go for the 338 and have yourself a ball.:)