Which action to build off

good morning everybody im going to build a 28 sherman using the 195 bergers but have no clue what action to use. ive been looking at bighorn origin or tl3 or the kelby atlas or if you guys think something else would be better thank you for the help
Was getting a custom build going and started researching myself.

the build ended up getting specked with a defiance with regard to weight.

I was looking at that prb article about actions too thanks again for all the input I just need to pull the trigger on one of these actions and get this gun built already

I have defiance, terminus, zermatt, kelbly and stiller. For budget the kelbly is amazing! Full featured, super smooth, runs flawlessly!! For jam packed features the zermatt is loaded! Very user friendly and would also consider the sr3 for bdl style in a hunting rifle unless you wanted dbm as some do. Terminus is wicked!! Super smooth, Joel is amazing, threaded trigger pins are great!! You'll be happy any route you go!

Pierce Titanium
A834D53E-E9DE-4543-AA4C-62EBE32D36DF.jpeg

Wow that's a pretty nice weight! Is that the short action?
Yes that's a short action. The same configuration is available in a long action I believe but would only be a tad bit heavier. I know for sure we make long action titanium actions with steel bolts, they are around 19oz if I'm remembering correctly. I haven't made a long action titanium with a titanium bolt yet, so I would have to check with the guys and see if that's something we indeed make. All of the titanium actions with titanium bolts I've made and handled have been short actions.

Last edited:
Light rifles are cool, but they require the utmost discipline to shoot well, consistently especially at long distance. A kelbly atlas is where I'd start, as I'm not a big fan of zermat actions, kelbly is arguably the best budget option. I have 3 terminus actions and they're excellent as they should be for the money. I don't much care for feeding off the action rails so I'd run a cfe box. Bat hr is also an excellent choice. Get an action that offers zero tolerance headspacing from manufacturer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.