Where's the powder?

Great post and it is as you said.
I don't have a lot of long-range bullets, most of mine are hunting bullets, but I do have hunting bullets in a few different calibers that if someone needed for an upcoming hunting trip or competition I'd work with them as you said. The only competition type bullet I have is Sierra's 30 cal, 168gr BTHP Match that I've moly coated years ago. I have a few of them I could help a guy out with if he's down to nothing and needs them for a competition.

The sad thing is that I honestly believe the powder, primers, and bullet shortage is by design to make less, charge more, all while promising we're doing all we can to get them out there. That line has been used for over a year at least and yet other than Hornady, which I don't load, not yet anyway, I still can't find powder, primers, and bullets online or locally without thinking I'm buying gold.

I contacted Nosler today, again, and told them the same thing above, what their reply is, I don't know yet, but I'm tired of being lied to. The real problem may be that they can't hire enough people to work in the plants because nobody wants to work. If that's the real reason then spell it out, but after at least a year being told we're making more than we ever have and you can't find them online or anywhere else for the most part has worn thin with me. Maybe back in the day, I shouldn't have put all my eggs in the Nosler basket but I have several rifles like most people on here and I really don't want to use up what powder and primers I have developing new loads for a new bullet, but I won't go through what I did last hunting season trying to find some Nosler bullets to hunt with. I'll see what their reply is this time, if it's the same old song and dance I will order some Hornady, Hunter. or Barnes bullets and start over and I will not go back to Nosler if I'm forced into this

I'm sorry for the rant, but enough is enough already.
Yer preach'n to the choir there Cowboy. We've all been in the same spot now off and on since late 2008.

The most challenging hunts most of us have had since then was when we went looking for components, particularly powder and primers!

Im shore glad CCI is putting out the primers...

Federal, Winchester, and Remington are no shows mostly.......if it werent for CCI , there'd be no bang in a lot of brass out there.

Likely 8 of 10 postings I make on primers are CCI.

And mostly small rifle
.......wheres the large rifle primers?
Going to the ammo manufacturers in all likelihood.

I for one like Nosler bullets, they are my favorites, however I also use Barnes, Sierra, Speer and a few others. I like to tinker with loads primarily to get the smallest group possible, but when it comes to hunting for me with a max of 300 yards on a deer sized target if I don't have what it takes to shoot a 1/2 MOA group for hunting I am comfortable with a 1 MOA or maybe even a bit larger providing that I have bullets that will work at the range that I am shooting at, as well as the game I am shooting at.

I have several different loads worked up for all of my rifles. If I run out of components for one load I simply switch to another that works in most cases just as well.

If one is so concerned about what they have available to them that they are unwilling to try something else, then they are not a true shooter, long range or otherwise. Long range as well as people who like to shoot also like to experiment. We will usually experiment with whatever is available. I have bullets for all of my rifles, mostly hunting bullets but some match too. I have several types of powder. I prefer IMR but also have some Hodgdon and Alliant on my loading shelf. My humble thought is that if you are so hung up on a particular load and only that load then you might as well sell or give away your loading equipment and buy factory loads.

It's not a conspiracy by the manufacturers no matter how much you want to believe so. The nobody wants to work problem is true in all industries. People are too lazy to work. I see supposed homeless people begging on street corners right next to help wanted signs offering $15 to $18 to start as well as sign on bonus's. I have also found out that a lot of these supposed homeless people do work, at panhandling and actually make a pretty good tax free income while defrauding the people who feel sorry for them and give them money.
Experimenting can burn up very limited supplies of powder and primers in a hurry and shortens the life of whatever rifle you are shooting.

On top of that it can get very expensive these days. If your max range is 300yds a 2 MOA load and rifle will still get the job done and put meat in the freezer but it won't get the job done at long range, thus we spend a whole lot of time and resources coming up with loads that give us that sub MOA level of accuracy.

Experimenting can burn up very limited supplies of powder and primers in a hurry and shortens the life of whatever rifle you are shooting.

On top of that it can get very expensive these days. If your max range is 300yds a 2 MOA load and rifle will still get the job done and put meat in the freezer but it won't get the job done at long range, thus we spend a whole lot of time and resources coming up with loads that give us that sub MOA level of accuracy.
Experimenting with new loads does burn up limited supplies, but the alternative is nothing to shoot. I would rather burn up my supplies and have something that shoots well than sitting at home in front of the fireplace wishing I was out hunting. It all boils down to what your priorities are. Much prefer sitting on my stand that sitting in front of the boob tube.

Experimenting with new loads does burn up limited supplies, but the alternative is nothing to shoot. I would rather burn up my supplies and have something that shoots well than sitting at home in front of the fireplace wishing I was out hunting. It all boils down to what your priorities are. Much prefer sitting on my stand that sitting in front of the boob tube.
We can also limit our shooting and preserve what ammo we have for hunting while we wait to find the necessary components for our pet loads, or take out a loan and go buy some factory ammo to get by with.

Load workups can easily burn up 100-200rds trying to find that perfect sub MOA or half MOA combo.

Not everyone has that kind of time either.

We can also limit our shooting and preserve what ammo we have for hunting while we wait to find the necessary components for our pet loads, or take out a loan and go buy some factory ammo to get by with.

Load workups can easily burn up 100-200rds trying to find that perfect sub MOA or half MOA combo.

Not everyone has that kind of time either.
Well, I have found that QUALITY factory ammo is available for most common cartridges. I have recently purchased Federal Premium in 270,
30-06 and 300 Wm

I for one like Nosler bullets, they are my favorites, however I also use Barnes, Sierra, Speer and a few others. I like to tinker with loads primarily to get the smallest group possible, but when it comes to hunting for me with a max of 300 yards on a deer sized target if I don't have what it takes to shoot a 1/2 MOA group for hunting I am comfortable with a 1 MOA or maybe even a bit larger providing that I have bullets that will work at the range that I am shooting at, as well as the game I am shooting at.

I have several different loads worked up for all of my rifles. If I run out of components for one load I simply switch to another that works in most cases just as well.

If one is so concerned about what they have available to them that they are unwilling to try something else, then they are not a true shooter, long range or otherwise. Long range as well as people who like to shoot also like to experiment. We will usually experiment with whatever is available. I have bullets for all of my rifles, mostly hunting bullets but some match too. I have several types of powder. I prefer IMR but also have some Hodgdon and Alliant on my loading shelf. My humble thought is that if you are so hung up on a particular load and only that load then you might as well sell or give away your loading equipment and buy factory loads.

It's not a conspiracy by the manufacturers no matter how much you want to believe so. The nobody wants to work problem is true in all industries. People are too lazy to work. I see supposed homeless people begging on street corners right next to help wanted signs offering $15 to $18 to start as well as sign on bonus's. I have also found out that a lot of these supposed homeless people do work, at panhandling and actually make a pretty good tax free income while defrauding the people who feel sorry for them and give them money.
Maybe my rifle are biased and won't shoot anything but Noslers or they're going to throw a fit and not shoot other bullets very well. Before joining LRH I reloaded for hunting and still do, but I find this site refreshing and I enjoy reading other people's problems and then their solutions.
With that said I picked Nosler early on because most of the time back then they were more accurate than the Speers and Sierra's I tried. Like you, my goal is a small group and the Noslers always won out over the others except for the 168gr BTHPM and that shooting was for a different purpose, yet they did a better job at the distances I was shooting, it was for target shooting.
But Nosler's song and dance has gotten under my skin, there's no way imo if they running 24/7 that their bullets ain't on the shelves.
Again I think the manufacturers have discovered they can make fewer products, sell it higher, and give us lip service, their math doesn't add up to me.

Yer preach'n to the choir there Cowboy. We've all been in the same spot now off and on since late 2008.

The most challenging hunts most of us have had since then was when we went looking for components, particularly powder and primers!
With all my bloviating today I did find some Alliant 4000-MR powder to try in my newly rebarreled Rem 300 WM. I hope it works well because I've never tried it but the price was somewhat reasonable so I got a pound. As luck would have it my Forester 300 WM Micro Seater also came in today so now all I need is some 180 & 200gr bullets to work up a load. I most likely will order some Hunter bullet to start my search since I now have a long action receiver, my model 7 Rem box was too short to do much with those bullets.

Congratulations, I didn't say it wasn't available.

We're still at a point however where prices are pretty ridiculous on a whole lot of it.
Wild one, you simply like to argue don't you? The prices are what they are. So be it. Don't argue. You will lose. $55 a box for ammo that rivals your best loads is well worth it when you cannot get the materials to load your pet rounds. The Sig Sauer ammo is pretty much impossible to duplicate and improve on. As far as I am concerned this issue is done and over with. Argue as you may, talk to others since you simply do not want to deal with anything to do with a women's experience over 50 years of shooting. Bye Bye!!!

living in western washington (please don't hold that against me) none of the cabelas/sportsmans warehouse/basspro have anything. checked online and nothing...

Wild one, you simply like to argue don't you? The prices are what they are. So be it. Don't argue. You will lose. $55 a box for ammo that rivals your best loads is well worth it when you cannot get the materials to load your pet rounds. The Sig Sauer ammo is pretty much impossible to duplicate and improve on. As far as I am concerned this issue is done and over with. Argue as you may, talk to others since you simply do not want to deal with anything to do with a women's experience over 50 years of shooting. Bye Bye!!!
Umm you started the argument by pontificating and being condescending to people who want to find the components for their pet loads.

Sig Sauer makes great ammo loaded to SAMMI Specs which as good as it is isn't going to be as accurate as loads specifically tuned to your own rifle, chamber, and barrel. Sig Sauer also puts out a very limited catalogue of Ammo for sale and it's not all available in every store in the country.

1643683049654.png

As for your supposed expertise, You had to have it explained 3 different times that a .277 is not a 7mm.

You may fool a lot of novices but you're not fooling anyone here.

Last edited: