Where's the powder?

My day just kept getting betterx
Walked into local Dunham's. They were stocking shelves with ammo and found 14 boxes of factory 6.5 PRC ammo a friend was looking for. They had pretty much everything. Kinda shocked maybe that's a good sign.
Although lots of guys grabbing it up fast. Yep old guys said they got the wife's new pistols for Christmas. First pistols and they shoot them every week. Just goes to show lots of new shooters requiring lots of ammo.

yeah just like that, 8lbs is way more than i need but i wouldn't complain either if that's all i could find

A while ago, I bought 8lb jugs of RE23 and RE26. That was more than I could use in the foreseeable future. I measured off a few pounds of each and put them in relabeled Alliant bottles for my buddies who were dying to get some. I really don't like repackaging powder because an error could be catastrophic, but it was a good solution at the time and everyone benefitted.

When will the manufacturers start producing 4lb mini-jugs?

Last edited:
Ok, just bought 1 lb H1000 at LGS. It was $39.99 so if a little hole in the wall shop can do this, it is readily APPARENT the big retail box stores are definitely sticking it to their customer base. This powder came in within past month so it is not old stock. Date of mfg is 11/01/21.
View attachment 336950View attachment 336951
I have been saying this for a while and I also think the 3 components companies are sticking it to their customers with short supplies. I get a downturn for this reason or that reason but come on, it's been over a year where you have to search high and low for almost anything you used to open the computer up and order and have it in a few days.

I shoot the Peregrine VLR4's over everything else.

Not far behind on the list is the Hornady Interbond then the Nosler Accubond.

I had some decent luck with the Hornady ELD-X's at ranges over 400 yards but everything I shoot other than the 260's are really screamers with MV's exceeding 3,000fps at the muzzle.

In my Winnies which I don't shoot a whole lot anymore the VLR4's just tore it up in Africa along with the 180gr accubonds and interbonds.

Hornady is really doing the hunting world a disservice not keeping Interbonds high on their production priority list. If they'd make a 200-210gr Accubond in 30 cal it would probably be the best bullet for the money on the market as far as terminal performance goes.

If they'd use the same bonding process with the ELD-X as with the Interbond they'd really have something special but each of the 3 times I've talked to them about it the answer was a polite, "no".

I've had some decent luck with the Barnes LRX and MRX but the MRX is off the market and I haven't seen any LRX's on the shelves in a very long time.

They didn't shoot as well for me as the Peregrine but they were close and not quite as reliable for terminal performance but close.
I just did a search on the LRX and Barnes has them in 190gr pills if you're interested.

I have been saying this for a while and I also think the 3 components companies are sticking it to their customers with short supplies. I get a downturn for this reason or that reason but come on, it's been over a year where you have to search high and low for almost anything you used to open the computer up and order and have it in a few days.
The problem is that basically now we only have one company in control of about 60% of the powder production in the US with one more controlling about 30% due to the consolidation in the industry as the giants keep buying out smaller companies.

They've pretty well got it made to because it's such a technically complex and high liability business that would take many millions for anyone to do a start up today in, they literally "own the competition".

Maximum Bore diameter is 6.86mm for the 270 and 6.8 Western That's why 7mm bullets will blow up or otherwise severely damage your rifle if you shoot them in a .270.

Note the bore diameter, 6.86mm of the 6.8 Western.

If they were 7mm cartridges they would be labeled as 7mm's not 6.8 or .270.

It should be embarrassing to have to have this explained to you yet again.

Just stop.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but 7mm bullets are 0.284 or 7.2136 mm in diameter. If someone wants to know for sure I say resize their 270 case or 6.8 case and see if a 7mm bullet will fit in it. If they use enough force it may go but they best hope it won't chamber because if it does trying to shove a .284 bullet down a .277 barrel will cause a train wreck, aka, a possible blown up gun in their face.

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but 7mm bullets are 0.284 or 7.2136 mm in diameter. If someone wants to know for sure I say resize their 270 case or 6.8 case and see if a 7mm bullet will fit in it. If they use enough force it may go but they best hope it won't chamber if it does because trying to shove a .284 bullet down a .277 barrel will cause a train wreck, aka, a possible blown up gun in their face.
Exactly. If you managed to get it done you'd blow the gun up.

Now think about this......if Midway really got a powder dump, why would there be ever increasing restrictions and limits?
In my mental model, what they have been selling is dribs and drabs that Hodgdon has parceled out to them, Powder Valley, Natchez,
and Brownells.

Grafs hasn't had powder in 6 months. Neither has Third Generation shooting supplys, or Precision Reloading, or any number of other
normal suppliers. Scheels has been running on half a tank, Salida Gunshop is low, Gunbroker is still charging 200% above normal.
No, if a real powder shipment came in, I haven't seen it, and neither has the market. Its still scraping the bottom of the barrel, and Midway has something for 5 min. every week or 2.
Check midway they have a few varieties now

I also like to keep it simple and both of the hunting calibers I handload for use IMR 4350 .
Im down to 1 lb . And looking on the internet has been a futile effort, the phrase ( out of stock ) , comes up regular .
It also boggles the mInd that 2 - 8 lb jugs of powder is close to the same price as a cheap rifle!
I've been seeing the IMR 4350 for sale the last couple of days. Along with others. That I thought were gone for good. I just wish I could find more primers. Those are worse than finding hen's teeth, unless you need the small rifle primers

I've been seeing the IMR 4350 for sale the last couple of days. Along with others. That I thought were gone for good. I just wish I could find more primers. Those are worse than finding hen's teeth, unless you need the small rifle primers
Finally received my powder ,Imr 4350 ,from powder valley, took lots of checking every morning on their site,to find it in stock.

Powder, bullets and cases, aren't the big issue, primers are! I was fortunate to get a precious brick of CCI-41, from Midway, for twice the price last week! And you can only get one per 7 days, and that ain't happening because they're all gone again.