Where to hunt?

tnshooter111

Me and a friend are wanting to put in for a tag to hunt speed goads in wyoming. We plan to hunt public land. Monster goats are not important to us. we would be happy with about any size buck. Any recommendations would be appreciated on what areas to put in for tags.

Yep, unit 7 is pretty much a 100% draw and has 20,000 acres of private land that is in the WIHA program that allows anyone to walk in and hunt the property. It also has quite a bit of Thunder Basin National Grassland and some BLM that is all open to hunting. You can stay in a motel in Newcastle, as it's only a few miles east of the unit and the eastern half of the unit is where all the land I'm talking about is located. Get on the G&F website and highlight "Public Access" over on the left side of the page and then click on Walkin Hunting Ares when that is visible. When that loads, go over on the left side and click on Weston County and enlarge Map#2 to see all the land I mentioned. Get off the main roads and do some walking and you will have a good time and kill a decent goat!

Most years, there are leftover liscenses. Wasn't many left last year, but usually there are.........This tells me that there are more antelope then there are hunters applying for that particular area:cool:.

What would be the possibility of paying a trespass fee in that area to get away from all the people?

That is a possibility too. For area 7, you could call the Newcastle Chamber of Commerce. They have a list of landowners, as does the WY Game and Fish.

Some landowners book up early, I am usually booked up about a year in advance. I might possibly have an opening for 2 in area 7 though. PM me if that interests you.

But yes, if you're willing to get out and walk and get a 1/2 mile or so off the "beaten path" you'll generally have better luck. Most people I see hunting there are just driving the county roads most of the time.

Last edited:
You can walk in off the roads a mile or so and do fine. Like was mentioned , most people seem to try and just drive the roads to hunt antelope and there are some good ones to be had if you walk and do spot and stalk. That's the most fun anyway IMHO. Also, wait until the end of the first week to get out there and you will cut the crowds by 75%. Just do some hunting, instead of wasting a lot of expensive gas driving all day and you will do fine.

Over the last 35 years or so, I have found that to be successful at antelope hunting, you should enjoy the country-side and take a walk. Leave the traveled road and look in the valleys and rolling hills some distance from your vehicle. I am 75 years old and am somewhat handicapped and usually manage to get 1/4 to 1/2 mile from any road and get my fieldglasses going. I hunt "public" ground most of the time, although I enjoy hunting with many ranchers in the west I have befriended thru the years.

We (thats you and me) are a nation of hunters. And Antelope hunting is always as much fun as we can make it!

Go for it.

It varies all over the place. Some might charge a flat fee of $100 a person per day, while the adjoining place might be double that, but for a three or four day time period. Then you also might find a place with a very minimal charge for the trespass fee, but then they tack on a decent amount if you take an animal on the ranch. About the only thing you can do is call prospective ones and find out their pricing system.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.