Where to start with antelope?

Good info Topgun. I do have another question concerning types. I'm confused on type 2 for antelope. Does the regs have to state a type to license? I see that it calls for a type 1 in the unit I'm applying for, but when I was talking to a landowner in this unit, she told me I would have better luck drawing a license since it was private land. The problem is, I'm not sure I can apply for the type 2 tag? Any info you can send my way I would appreciate it. The unit is 73. thanks.

Some antelope hunt areas have a Type 2 license that is valid only on private land, that is most likely what the landowner was referring to. However, in 2017 Antelope Hunt Area 73 did not have Type 2 licenses available.

The number and types of licenses will be finalized in late March and early April and voted on by the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission in Lander later in April. Once the Commission votes on the license proposals it becomes final and whatever they voted to accept will be what is issued in the draws for antelope. So, there may or may not be a Type 2 license in Hunt Area 73; since there is a fair amount of public land it is doubtful.

You will have the entire month of May to apply for an antelope license so you can wait until you know for sure what antelope licenses and types will be issued to apply.

ClearCreek

Clearcreek---The tentative Regs. that are posted on the G&F website do not show a Type 2 License being offered again this year either, so it's very doubtful that will change. Like you stated, I also always tell people to wait until the middle of May to apply so they can look at everything AFTER the Final Regulations are approved and posted on the G&F website in late April. There is also really no reason to give them your money months ahead of time when the application period doesn't close until 5/31.

Topgun:

I have a feeling there will be changes to the number of licences that are identified in that proposed list dated 1/22/2018 now on the G&F website. For antelope, it will mostly be in the number of licenses proposed for issuing in some hunt areas.

There is still a couple weeks of season setting discussions going on among game wardens, biologists and their supervisors in the G&F regions, so the number of licenses to be issued is not final at this point. As is stated on the very top page of each set of draft regulations for each species, additional changes (and it lists what those changes could be) will be made available to the public on March 21, 2018.

ClearCreek

I would like to start putting in for preference points in a good antelope unit. It doesn't really matter what state, but I was looking on Wyoming's page. I would like to do a diy hunt with a decent amount of public ground. I know nothing about this type of hunt (I've only hunted West-central Wisconsin whitetails), and don't really know where to start. Any information would be great, but I am mainly looking for what states/units I should be putting my points towards. Thanks in advance.

Junglebird!
This is the WOP

I would like to start putting in for preference points in a good antelope unit. It doesn't really matter what state, but I was looking on Wyoming's page. I would like to do a diy hunt with a decent amount of public ground. I know nothing about this type of hunt (I've only hunted West-central Wisconsin whitetails), and don't really know where to start. Any information would be great, but I am mainly looking for what states/units I should be putting my points towards. Thanks in advance.

Junglebird!
This is the WOP. I live in Montana and go antalope hunting every year in eastern Montana. So try this state area 700

Junglebird!
This is the WOP. I live in Montana and go antalope hunting every year in eastern Montana. So try this state area 700

With the terrible winter this year in northcentral, eastern, and southeast Montana it will be lucky if there will be any antelope left the way guys that live out there are saying it is!

With the terrible winter this year in northcentral, eastern, and southeast Montana it will be lucky if there will be any antelope left the way guys that live out there are saying it is!

That may be the case,the past four years have been recouperating from bad winter five years ago. I have not checked yet this year. sorry.
the WOP.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.