Where to ?

I guess I would have to argue with skipping 23. If you do your homework, there is enough public land and a WIHA or two that you can kill a few goats on. I do agree with what was said about unit 7 though. That area lost a lot of animals a coupoe years ago due to the weather and too many tags being issued. Every person I've sent out to 23 has done well, but you do have to put your boots to work! If I were you though, I'd pay a rancher for access the second week of the season and you won't spend that much more more to do that than buying a tag in the Special Draw. The 23 tags can be bought all the way through the season itself because they never sell out. Many of the ranchers will even let you shoot does for free and if you mention you are taking a kid on his first hunt that sometimes will open up doors to an area. Call the G&F Office in Gillette and they will send you a list of ranchers and start making your calls ASAP. Skip the first week and you'll have a ball with the boy!

Replying to this thread so I can reference it in the future...

Myself and my 11yr old son will apply for the antelope doe/fawn draw in one of the south-west units (coming from CA and closer). If we don't draw, we'll be buying OTC doe tags in unit 23 and will need pointers on where to go. I'll pick your brains when drawing results are posted and if we don't draw our units.

Stay away from 38. The public land is locked in by private. There are very, very, few ranchers that will let you on a pivot or access through to public. Success rate is great, however land access is not.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.