Where to hunt in NM units 32,33

elkslayer44

Well I got lucky and managed to get drawn for a mobility impaired hunt in mid-August in NM units 32 and 33. Since this is only the 3rd time I've been drawn in the last 23 years that I've been applying (I've only had MI certification for 6 years), I was wondering if anyone has any information they will share on hunting these units. Are there any places to camp with a trailer? I see a lot of BLM land, especially in the southern part of unit 33. I can walk short distances on fairly level terrain. I'm hoping my old AF buddy can join me. Any help is appreciated.

My tag doesn't list a ranch-- just the two units. I'll call G&F and verify that. I did read some older posts on here where they mentioned that, but my buddy who is also MI got drawn 2 years ago in the NE around Springer and no ranches were specified. He ended up taking a buck on State Trust land. He told me the rancher who leased the Trust land was not very happy about it as he'd been selling tags to outfitters and treated the land as his own.

I checked the Antelope section of the Regulation Booklet and the mobility impaired hunts are for the unit and they do not assign you to a ranch. Your hunt is 8/13-8/15 for a MB, which they classify as one with at least one horn longer than it's ears. Good luck!

Id still like to know if anyone on here has any tips for hunting public land in these units. Looking for info on possible camping areas as well.

Well I found this guy herding 12 to 15 does on public land 12 miles or so out of Roswell:
image_zpsvu9fzj32.jpeg

Very nice. My first antelope came from about fifty miles due west of there circa 1973.

I get more and more motivated to try and get back with every one of these hunt reports I read.

Mario, that sounds a whole lot like a "We" kinda project. :)

A guy came to see me when I was in vegas. He wanted a second opinion. He was Micksfather in law. Mick and Dennis from 6A???? Wel he has some thousand odd acres and has antelope tags that he owns me one. Maybe see if we can buy another and take a run next year????

I would be game. I asked him how long of a hunt I would need. He said 10 minutes!!!

Hahahaha

A guy came to see me when I was in vegas. He wanted a second opinion. He was Micksfather in law. Mick and Dennis from 6A???? Wel he has some thousand odd acres and has antelope tags that he owns me one. Maybe see if we can buy another and take a run next year????

I would be game. I asked him how long of a hunt I would need. He said 10 minutes!!!

Hahahaha
Just let me know, I'm in. I was already thinking of some friends I have in Northern NM to call about the same thing!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.