Where to find Gen 1 Savage 4.522" stock?

Darryle

Besides Boyd's and Stockades, who currently makes a stock for the J series stock with the 4.522" action screw spacing?

Stockades has a few attractive designs but wanted a few more options.

I would prefer a composite similar to the AG Composites Alpine Hunter stock.

If I can't find an off the shelf stock, who can I get to inlet a AG Composites stock to fit the action I currently have? It would be for a Criterion heavy sporter barrel channel if that makes a difference.

I really don't want to have to swap the action for an older long action, but that is an option as well. I have a Criterion heavy sporter 7mm-08 barrel inbound from NSS along with a Criterion heavy sporter 280 Ackley barrel for a long action Savage I have.

I feel for you, I also have one of these forgotten actions. I was able to find a nice walnut 90% inlet stocks on ebay some years ago. It really is a shame about these action mine is glass smooth and will shoot sub moa groups with just about any load. I changed the barrel recently to a 6.5 CM and plan to shoot it in some hunting class matches.

I feel for you, I also have one of these forgotten actions. I was able to find a nice walnut 90% inlet stocks on ebay some years ago. It really is a shame about these action mine is glass smooth and will shoot sub moa groups with just about any load. I changed the barrel recently to a 6.5 CM and plan to shoot it in some hunting class matches.
Curious to know who did the barrel work for you. Most gunsmiths won't touch these older model Savages because they aren't familiar with them and believe them to be too complex. I have a short action Savage 110 built in 1958 (308 Win) that is in exquisite condition - so I've been watching a few threads hoping and hoping someone would come across a stock maker/supplier that can do up a composite stock - no luck in my 8 year search. I am going to reach out to Brown Precision and put the question to them. I leave my rifle in the safe because I don't want to ding up the original stock. My hunting style requires a stock that already has character marks or is tougher than wood. I seem to fall on occasion (snowy mountains), smack my rifle into boulders and trees, shove it under and behind truck seats, wrench it out of saddle scabbards and various holders on quads and side-by-sides with slippy fingers. My rifle, like yours, shots very well and the action is super slick. I would love to take it hunting without that nervous feeling like I'm sending my 15 year old daughter on her first Prom with a high school senior :)

Well I did my own work because as you say " no one wants to touch these". I'm a Holy Machinist with PM 12X36T lathe that is extremely accurate, and a PM935 Bridgeport Tawain clone. I also have a CNC mil, that I built to do parts I can stumble around with Fusion360. We are kind of I dependant out here in the western. By the way I don't have any skin in the game with PM just their Tawain machine tools are the best priced and very accurate, I can't afford USA made machines and I refuse to buy any thing from China.
CH