Where do you shoot this elk?

how close are we? I'd lean 5 most of the time, but if it's a nice close shot that's not particularly rushed, angle of the 7, no tracking there. it's like cutting the strings on a puppet

Good to study the anatomy then make your choice.
bull.jpg

I agree with 86alaskan, If it's ~50yds or less I take #7. This is typically in the thick woods and I can't see much else. Be ready for a follow up shot though as sometimes it's just shock if you haven't actually hit the spine. Otherwise I'm going for slight variations on 5 (depending on quartering and elevation). Essentially I'm thinking 2/3rds of the way down and along the crease created at the back of the front leg and then adjust for angle/quartering..and distance if you need a hold off for a quick shot. If I do my part and hit there I've always hit the bottom of the lungs and typically there is no heart to find.
Last year I had to take a snap shot at what turned out to be closer to 200yds then the 130ish I was thinking and ended up hitting the #6 (I'm sighted in for dead on at 350 with the apogee at ~200yds). It still took the lungs but she ran for 600yds (very steep downhill so she really couldn't stop once she started) but it took a couple hundred yds before the cavity filled up and started pumping blood out for me to track, but then it was pretty easy. This was 180gr AB 300WM.
elk_2017-3.jpg
elk_2017-2.jpg
elk_2017-1.jpg

Shoot #4 with any bullet, a pencil hole through the heart is still a hole through the heart

The 2-5 region. Lots like heart shot, I prefer the great vessels coming out. The lungs are good better when the large conducting airways are involved.

Everyone has real good points here. Distance plays a big role. If he is broadside and you are done pooing yourself then you have to go for 4, high 4 or 5. Those are really good vitals and the 28 sending the berger 195s down range is going to do some serious damage. On shots with any distance I have always went just a little higher somewhere between the 4/5 and to the left.
Either way it would be nice to see what you chose and what he looks like! Good luck!

Last bull I took with Berger 168 shots were a little to the inside of 6, and 5 and 4. Then he ran a ways. I am truly lucky that elk stood around not knowing our position and let me put three in him. That is the day I gave up on the VLD.

A diagonal between 2 and 4 should fold it down, and if it does run a little, it will bleed a lot. Your round has a lot of hydro-static shock capability like a 257 Weatherby...should do the trick!

I'll shot 4, takes it down faster than any other spot, less suffering for the animal and quick for me to tag and call it a day.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts