Where do you have your trigger set at?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Nikolakangrga, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Nikolakangrga

Nikolakangrga Well-Known Member

How many pounds/ounces are your triggers set at? Iam not talking your 1500+ yard hunting rifles. Iam talking about your 0-800 or so yard hunting rifles or your backpacking lightweight rifles.

I think Iam going to have mine set to 1.5lbs.

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I like 2.5 pounds for hunting and 2 pounds for targets.

The Jewel triggers feel lighter than they actually weigh and any thing lighter than 2 pounds
    feels extremely light. The factory triggers are different and should be weighed to be sure they
    are not set two light (Could be a safety issue).

With a really good trigger you can go to 3 pounds and not effect accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

3. Nikolakangrga

Nikolakangrga Well-Known Member

I will be having a Kimber Montana trigger adjusted. My concern is the rifle is SO light that a "somewhat" heavy trigger can really mess with me at the range.

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I have all mine set as close to 1 1/2 lb as I can get them, but more important I want a clean break and the pull to be the same every shot.

Jeff

5. Southpaw

Southpaw Well-Known Member

All of my rifles are set at 2lbs. Makes it easy when everything is constant.

Southpaw

6. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

2.0-2.5 pounds on my Weatherbys. I tried 1.5 but just didn't like it that low because if I have a glove on or whatever it's just too easy to set off.

My Remington 7400 is at 3 pounds because it's as low as it will go without really messing it up.

7. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

mine are 2 1/2 lbs. I hunt in harsh conditions, dont usually where gloves, or just one. When your hand is a liitle cold and you go to take up slack doesnt take much. My target pistol 20 oz. 2 buddies bench guns 2 oz. I WANT TO FELL THE TRIGGERgun)

8. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

I just had my long range rifle set at 2.5 pounds and so far I really like it. Most of my other rifles are at 3-3.5 pounds and they feel really bad now when compared to a nice crisp 2.5 pounds. I guess I am going to have to adjust them all now.

9. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

Hunt in all kinds of weather wearing rag wool gloves when cold. The rifle is set at 3 lbs as I don’t remove the gloves to shoot.

10. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

I've always set everything at 3 lbs on the nose. I've been playing around with a lighter trigger on my 300 Ultra, right about 2-1/2 and starting to like it. May be due for some lightening of the others.

11. MN Hunter

MN Hunter Well-Known Member

All of my rifles are set close to 2.5 pounds. Would like to go a little lighter but I hunt in cold weather and dont always have an opportunity to take my glove off before I need to shoot.

12. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

1.5 lbs is about right for me. Whenever I invite someone to shoot my rifle I make sure they know it's not your standard 4-6 lbs...don't want any surprises.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  13. Tikka Lover

Tikka Lover <strong>Official LRH SPONSOR</strong>

1 to 1 1/2 pounds. Anything heavier drives me nuts. It just takes some getting used to. Lighter the better I always say :D

14. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

1.5lbs on the Savages and a worked over factory Winchester at 2.5lbs (as light as the smith could go without the safety not working properly).

Tank