where can I find this kind of elk?

älg

Take a look at this Elk, really impressive. Does any of you see monsters like this???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
bigelk.jpg

Pic is taken from a hunting magazine, and text says it´s an elk ( wapiti). I´ve never seen one so huge, that´s why I was wondering if anyone had seen something similar. The post is not intended to find a hunting spot (i wish it were) , just to comment on how big the elk is.

I was in Washington state last year and saw several Elk as large as this one on a place called Rattlesnake mountain. It is the highest treeless mountain west of the Mississippi.
we saw herds of bulls with 10 to 20 members most were 8 point or better. Odd thing many had antlers that were wide like mullys instead of tall and narrow. We got to within 40 feet of several while the car was moving but when we stooped they were gone.

Alg
There are some monsters in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico. I've never seen them just pix's and record book info. There is a 400 point bull killed almost every year now days.

You might want to check out MonsterMuleys.com

CAM

Definately NOT a red stag. Red Stag have "crowns" at the top of the antlers. That is just one big *** elk.

Just about every state that has elk will have one that big - the trick is finding him.

sorry on the misidentification. Look at arizona, new mexico. I saw a big one in unit 11 in Idaho. Would have went 380-400. Never got the shot just the image of him that will last forever in my memories. Maybe next year I'll draw that tag again. Doubt it though.

There are some huge bulls in Arizona and a few giagantic ones. If you want the biggest of the biggest, the San Carlos reservation is the ticket. You will pay 30,000 USD for 1 tag + you must have a guide. The best dont come cheap either. You do get what you pay for. The largest free ranging elk in the world can be found and have been taken there. One scored over 500 inches B&C. 400 inches is concidered the best of the best. Many bulls in the 400-450 inch range have come off the San Carlos. Hunters pass up 350-390 inch class bulls there on a regular basis. No where else in the world do you pass up a 390 bull and very very few places would you pass a 350 class bull.

What magazine did the picture come from? I wonder if it could have come off of a game farm. Big Game Adventures magazine does lots of canned hunts in Saskatchewan where they get elk that size and bigger (Stuff you're not often going to find wild in my province).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.