What's your elk rifle?

i have a few that i have used on elk over the yrs and all have done the job just fine.

rem model 722 chambered in 257 roberts loaded with 85 gr. barnes X
rem model 700 chambered in 6.5-284 loaded with 130 scirocco or 140 partition
ultra light arms chambered in wildcat 30 rem necked up to 35 with 180 TTSX

ultra light arms chambered in 416 express
ultra light arms chambered in 25x47 loaded with 80 gr ttsx

How come 30 people are not bashing you for using 85 gr, and 80 gr bullets on Elk ?

I asked about using a .243 on Elk. I was bashed, and flamed to no end. I personally love my .243. I could practice all day long, and my shoulder doesn't mind.

But due to all the bashing, I decided on a 7mm-08 140 gr. Federal Nosler partitions for this Elk season.

I will tell you the last deer that I took with my .243 had a 2" exit wound. DRT.

I love me some super big uber ultra magnum as much as anybody but people seriously under estimate killing power and what it is about a bullet that does the killing. There is the stabbing effect which causes hemoraging which is enough in itself when properly placed. Then you have the cavitation and the hydrostatic shock. Which is what causes that awe inspiring bang flop kill that results from the sudden shock to the nervous system from all the liquid in the body being suddenly impacted. Think gallon milk jug with a 30/06. Hemingway killed elephants with an 06 with 220 solids. The 243 is a pretty efficient little killer despite what a lot of people who have done a little killing may say. I on the other hand will take a 338 lapua improved this year simply because it makes me smile when it goes off and I spent a fortune on it. I will also have a plain old Browning abolt stalker in 300wsm if the terrain is to rough to carry the big gun. If I had neither I would not hesitate to borrow your 243 and kill an elk just as dead. It is 90% the trigger monkey doing the work and 10% the rifle.

The very best rifle is the one you are carrying when an elk walks out in front of you.

I hope you all have safe and successful elk hunts. I'm headed up Friday morning.

300 WSM hand loads with 165g Accubond. Shooting from my Sako Finnlight 85SM. Only 6.5# rifle sans scope and ammo. Topped with a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest scope. Love that scope, so bright and clear. Rifle weighs the same as the wife's 270 Win Browning A-bolt though kicks as hard as she does. Since most of my time is carrying the rifle and not shooting it I don't even notice when it goes off, except after 20+ rounds off the bench at the range, then I don't like it that much.

Used to poke my elk with a 7mm RM but wanted something a tad bigger since we have some good size black bear where we hunt. Sure, 7mm or even 243 will kill just fine but having a little more gives you some leeway when the shot angle isn't as good as you hope.

Lots of exceptional guns and cartridges. Mine is a Sako AV Classic in 7MM Rem Mag using hand loaded 160 grain Partitions that I've chrono'd at better than 3100 FPS. I know of recent and late 900lb+ Utah bull that scored better than 370 that didn't much like my elk rifle. One shot, one very dead elk. You can read more about him right here: .284" Going In, 1.00"+ Going Out

BTW, I am considering downsizing to a Sako AV .270 Win.

The new one going into the field this season:
375 Ruger
Montana Rifle 1999 Action
Lilja #5 Barrel at 25"
Pendleton Composite Stock, Pillar Bedded
Leupold 2.5-8x32 VX3
7.5lbs with scope
270 Gr Barnes X at 2900fps
5 Shots at 300 Yards, 2.3"

Should do the job!

The 375 did the trick. CO bull at 305 Yards, green score 346. Overkill but effective.

The new one going into the field this season:
375 Ruger
Montana Rifle 1999 Action
Lilja #5 Barrel at 25"
Pendleton Composite Stock, Pillar Bedded
Leupold 2.5-8x32 VX3
7.5lbs with scope
270 Gr Barnes X at 2900fps
5 Shots at 300 Yards, 2.3"

Should do the job!

The 375 did the trick. CO bull at 305 Yards, green score 346. Overkill but effective.

Winchester pre-64 Model 70, "Alaskan" 26" stock barrel with a "Saturn" muzzle break, .264 Winchester Magnum. 120 grain Barnes Tipped TSX Boat tail, 3480 fps muzzle velocity.

This years bull 6X6, about 900 lbs, 8 to 9 years old. 1 shot at 378 yards. First of these bullets recovered, broke a rib in and out of the rib cage. Bull angling uphill and approx. 20 degrees away when hit. Bullet recovered from right front shoulder under hide, one peddle broken off, 110 grains.

I rebarreled my 7RM M70 last winter. After serious debate between the 7-300WM and the 7RM I settled on the 7RM. I did however build it with 180 bergers specifically in mind. Sure enough the lilja barrel sends them 2960fps with 70.5gr retumbo. Some people doubt the 7RM, but my elk this year dropped where it stood at 438yrds. I did not explore like I wanted but a small exit wound on the opposite side caused a grape fruit sized pool of blood under this beast! First time I have had a bullet exit an elk. Made me feel good there is some range left on the table with my little old 7RM.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 105
Well, I still like my .300 Win mag for mules and elk.

But these days if I had it to do over I'd go with a 300 Norma magnum - no pesky cartridge belt to accommodate for starters.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.