Whats the difference between the MK4 and VX3

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by heavy hitting 300, Sep 27, 2010.

1. heavy hitting 300

heavy hitting 300 Well-Known Member

im woundering why i see more people goin with the MK4 then the VX3. im told theres more elevation in the vx3 then the mk4. is this true? also ive been toold its the same glass also. same tube same glass more elevation so why mk 4? if some1 could shine some light please do and thank you for the info.

2. texan79

texan79 Well-Known Member

3. heavy hitting 300

Thanks texan79. For the price diff I think ill stick with the vx3.

4. ANARCHIST

ANARCHIST Well-Known Member

LOL hmmm, about $500 + in cost "Good marketing on Leupolds part" for a renamed product.

Add the word "tactical" to a common shovel and it will entice buyers to pay stupid money..

Agreed I would buy the VX-3 and save the $$ - same glass w/o the "tacticool exposed knobs" and inflated price.

5. heavy hitting 300

Couldn't have said it better myself.

6. mike33

mike33 Well-Known Member

I like the vx-3 own 4 now. the last one was a 6.5-20 varm. hunter reticle first thing i did was officially take out of box look it over sent it back to lupy and paid for m-1 turrents also telling them it wont hold zero and wont track. cost me around 130.00 and now have as to me as a tactical scope. have shot out to 1075 yards and returns back to zero. Cant ask for much more and no comarision in price to the mk-4
    mike

7. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

I purchased a 2nd hand MK4 in the hopes that it would track better than the so called "standard" Leupold scopes. Reason is.......I've had 3 different leupolds that wouldn't move the point of impact the advertised amount.

One was 4 times the .25 minutes per click on elevation and twice that amount on widage!!. All of them prior to the VX3 models though. (VariX III's and VariX II's)

I didn't know that they had the same glass, but there are some differences in available reticles I believe.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  8. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

I have a MK4 6.5-20X50and love it. It has the Illuminated TMR reticle, the M1 turrets, and a few other features. I got mine new for $1100 from SWFA last year. I think they have since gone up substantially in price this year. The MK4 was worth it to me for what I paid for it then. However, I doubt I would spend the $1500-$1700 for a MK4 now. The VX3 with M1 turrets and a good reticle is a great value for a good scope.