Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Playtime. I agree, I still have every one I've bought too, except 1. I helped get a guy Hog hunting. When he went with me I'd let him borrow a pistol. When I had to quit, he kept on. I sold him through his wife for his birthday an early 6" Judge, cheeeep. He could shoot .410 or .45 Lc. I couldn't let him get cut up when I had a hand in getting him started.

Yep. I have sold 5 guns in my life I think. Savage 99 in 243 with a beautiful birch stock (factory) that had fired 12 shells when I got it (farmer used it for shooting coyotes on his hay bales from the back door). I had put a Simmons scope on it and I was in college at the time. I had sighted it in and drove home (6 hr drive) and went hunting with a friend the next day. Missed a deer (nice buck) at 80 yards and could not figure out why until friend said shoot at that big rock in the field. Gun was shooting 3' high at 100 yards. All from riding in a case in the truck on the highway. No dropped or banged. To this day I won't own a Simmons scope. Only gun I truly truly regret selling and the guy won't sell it back. Simmons scope was apparently thrown in the trash one day after it was bought.

A Bergara in 6.5 PRC which I liked but a friend really really really wanted it and in a moment of weakness knowing some bills were coming in I sold.

And a Ruger P95 (I think it was) in 45 ACP. Friend at work wanted it badly and it had the WORST trigger I had ever seen.

A Savage in 17 HMR and a Win Model 100 in 308 to a friends daughter. Pretty tough to say no when a girl that you've known since she was like 8 is going please... please.... please... sell me these!!!!

Had to think.... lol

But that Simmons scope was such a piece of garbage for their top of the line scope makes me wonder if we should have a page on the worst scopes purchased???

I haven't messed with the new cartridges, PRC, Ceedmores, and others. I guess that I'd call them "Designer Cartridges". They look like the projectile is as long or longer than the brass. They are pretty and from what you hear they must walk on water, defy gravity and correct any aiming error. I bet that I just licked the stripes off of somebody's candy let the mean comments begin. This is actually just to poke some "bears"!

Ok... second Ackley Improved cartridge I have owned (first being 280 AI) but I gotta admit the 257 Roberts AI is a sweet little cartridge. Not sure that if it was a hunt of a lifetime that it would be in my top... whatever... list but after getting to play with it yesterday... I gotta admit it's nice and VERY accurate. Now I'm wondering do I need a 243 AI or a 22-250 AI???? I mean does a guy start collecting the parent cartridge and then the Improved version?

Let's start with the 300 PRC. What does it offer over the 300 Win Mag? From what I understand the 300 win mag has won more long range competitions than any other cartridge by far. Even though... you can't shot accurate loads with a short neck. Even though... no belted cartridge is accurate. Even though... it's not a big straight walled cartridge.

What does the 300 PRC offer over a 300 WM... a 300 WBY... a 300 RUM???

Now in theory... the 30 Nosler should be the perfect cartridge. Shoulder... neck length... no belt... and yet... you cannot find ammo or brass for it here in Canada. I wanted to rechamber a 300 WM for one just because I am a complete 300 magnum addict... but even I can't justify it... which makes me sad 😥. Maybe I can find some brass somewhere....??????? Lol

What does the 300 PRC offer over a 300 WM... a 300 WBY... a 300 RUM???
Ha that's an easy one. Larger body diameter so better case capacity, better shoulder design, and a somewhat more sane case capacity with max COL that actually feeds in unmodified rifles.

The problem with the 300WM is SAAMI spec. We around here handload and get barrels made by competent smiths so the 300 WM can be made to keep up with the 300 PRC. But off the shelf in loaded ammo that will retain backwards-compatibility with all the old rifles out there there's no way 300 WM keeps up with the heavier, longer, higher-BC bullets that fit into spec-dimensioned factory ammo. It's an old design that's been overshadowed in performance, but is still useful for situations where it was never needed in the first place.

Like a factory IROC versus pretty much any sports car today. The IROC still works as designed, it was great at the time, but only a few people ever race to the point they need max power the old or new offers, so it's just paper racing BS and opinions. When everyone is driving the speed limit on the freeway there's no difference between the IROC, a Prius, and an Audi R8. But put it on the track and while it smokes the Prius, it gets left behind by more modern designs.

Last edited:
Maybe I can find some brass somewhere....??????? Lol
Brass in stock:

Rifle in stock:

Recent Posts