Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Oh for sure. No real beef. But I recall growing up and in college when I got my first chronograph…in those days all I had was a .270 and I could just see how smug a few of my buddies with 7 mags were about their "big gun" haha. At that point none of us handloaded. Ran them over the chronograph and watched their faces go from smug to horrified to see how, again with factory ammo, my "little" .270 was within 150 fps of them with equal bullet weights out of a 2 inch shorter barrel with less kick and a LOT LESS EXPENSIVE AMMO! 🤣
The 7mm Rem mag as factory loaded has a lot of room to increase performance, even when constrained to 3.34. Factory 700's and clones have plenty of mag space to gain a lot of performance with heavies. Likewise, I have a Tikka with 3.715 AICS mags. They generally don't come twisted for heavies from the factory, but I've been able to launch 175's even at sea level with the 1:9.5's. The 7PRC will be a great boon for shooting .284 175's in 3.34 length magazines.

The 6.5CM in all seriousness is a fine cartridge. The problem with it was perfectly stated by Clint.
2390CC10-CF50-45FE-915A-94086943CBCD.jpeg

I don't hate any cartridge...I hate cartridge haters. And I hate hate bandwagonners. And I hate hate hate people that do stuff to look cool or rich, and ruin it for the folks that have been doing it thier whole lives. And really hate those who can't figure out when their or they're or there is appropriate. Or how to spell their. Oh wait...NM.

More seriously though, the 17wsm has recently fallen out of favor with me since they stopped making it. When it was still everywhere and12 bux a box I was anchoring anything from prairie dogs to foxes out to180 yards.

So...even though the 300 bo and 308 win are on the ragged edge of my dislike list, I'm thinking about getting one of each- because of their popularity, availability, and usefulness for certain applications. And they're efficient which in a powder shortage kinda matters.

I really LIKE efficient cartridges.

Last edited:
No game ever died prior to the introduction of some of the new cartridges. Lol
I agree with a few of the statements earlier on if you took the old cartridge's and match them up with new barrel twists and reloading components we would never need to come up with a new cartridge.
That said, 243 and 6mm. Have always hated them, except for the last few years and the 6mm, 243 and 243AI I have been shooting. I should just get rid of them and get a Creedmoooooor.
There are no bad cartridges and guns, just bad targets which can be hidden, thrown away or lied about!

I can't honestly say that I hate any of them. I do always seem to fall back upon the old reliables like a good old 300 win or 7mm rem mag. I tend to shy away from the marketing hype for the new latest and greatest cartridge that is supposed to give you an "extra 150 fps" or whatever they claim. I did own a 280 AI once. It seemed cool at the time, and it was an amazingly efficient cartridge. But it was a Christensen. 🤣 That's a another story!

Regardless of the cartridge name it's more of how much that dang case holds! I love to load large magnums and for what they're intended for.......................but it beats the alternative...................buying factory at $4 or more per (even $2+ is stupid ridiculous)!

I have no use for many cartridges, but do not hate any, or begrudge anyone who feels the need to shoot those cases.
I remember when I got into LR steel banging 13 yrs ago, it was 308 this, 308 that. I asked a few if they had ever crunched numbers. And how the 175 gr Sierra was light yrs ahead of the 168gr, yet 2 decades behind the 6.5 140gr Berger or 139gr Scenar.
Being involved in shooting is like white water rafting, lot of outside influences.