whats the best brass

IMHO:
#1 Lapua (limited offerings)
#2 RWS (if you can find it)
#3 Norma (readily available in most chamberings)
And the best of the rest:
#4 Winchester/Remington/Hornady ( because these are so close in quality standards, price should dictate choice)
#5 Federal

Everyone has there opinions, this list simply reflects mine.

The best brass for me is the once fired FREE brass that non reloaders leave laying around at the range. :D

I agree with 7mmHCFR on his list. If you sort by weight and match prep primer pockets inside and out #4 on the list you usually will do fine.

RT2506 you are a wise man at the range :D I collect mine at my range during our annual site in weekend which is open to the public !! I recently posted this as my process for new bulk brass from the #4 guys:

What I do with 100 pieces new brass is:

1) full length resize (wipe off lube)
2) trim
3) debur flashole
4) chamfer case mouth outside/inside
5) uniform primer pocket
6) tumble

Then I weigh each case and I sort them into lots. With Win or Rem brass I usually am happy to get 50 out of 100 that are + or - 1grain. This insures fairly uniform inside volume. I call this my "prime lot". The other 50 I call my "load lot". Out of the load lot 50 there always seems to be 5-10 cases that are the same + or - 1 grain weight as the "prime lot". These I use to develop my load for that rifle. Once I find what the rifle likes I load up the prime lot and make the firing line hot ! Hope this helps

Agreed with the #1 poster child... Basically, the best brass cost the most and declines from there... Hence mimicking #1's list...

I havn't found one "best" brass, as each rifle has a preference. But, tne only one I don't like is the older federal.

Even the best Manufacturers sometimes put out a dud . Lapua did that with 223 Brass a few years back when they subcontracted and there were reports of way off-center flash holes . Just recently I've seen at least one Report of Case separation when fired in an AR . Frankly , for Varmints , my Custom 223 does'nt see much Difference between Winchester , Remington , PMC , IMI , Honduran Stuff ( can't remember the stamp ) , and I can't remember what else . Just bought a lot of Lake City , but have'nt tested any yet . Maybe I've just been lucky .

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.