What is the best .338????

[ QUOTE ]
I hear the JP is about as good as they get for this application.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not Kirby but I'll tell you I had a JP brake on a 300 RUM and found it no more effective than the Holland on my 270 AM. I won't be putting another one of those ugly panzer looking things on any of my guns!!!

They work but like Bill correctly commented on, they are ugly as a mud duck. I would go with one of Shawn C.'s Defensive Edge 4 port brakes. She will be a ***** cat with that brake and look nice as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

I like the concept of the 338 edge. I just hate that remington brass that is why I shoot the standard Lapua. Wasn't there another name for a 300 RUM necked up to 338?

I shoot my 338 Lapua without a brake, one of these days I'm going send that thing to Shawn for one of those brakes I hear so many good things about.

I have measured the quality of Rem cases as well. It is certainly not up to the standards of Lapua cases but I can tell you one thing, I have well over a dozen +1K yard rockchuck kills, and a pile of big game taken at ranges over 500 yards that tells me the Rem cases work pretty well.

Also, I have punched enough 1/2 to 3/4 moa groups at 900 to 1200 yards with my 270 AM rifles to not give Rem brass to much of a hard time. This round uses the 7mm or 300 RUM.

True it is not as strong as Lapua cases but it works much better then most give it credit for. Many dismiss it before even trying it. Thats to bad.

Yes there is another name for the 300 RUM necked up to 338, its the 338-300 RUM!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Wasn't it also called a Tomahawk?

Kirby, I do agree that the Rem brass works. In some calibers there is just no choice for premium brass and thats just the way it is, but you love the caliber and in the end it does its job.

Not to get off subject, but have you are experimented with calibers built off the 408 chey-tac case?

Kirby Wrote:

"I have measured the quality of Rem cases as well. It is certainly not up to the standards of Lapua cases but I can tell you one thing, I have well over a dozen +1K yard rockchuck kills, and a pile of big game taken at ranges over 500 yards that tells me the Rem cases work pretty well."

How did you measure this? Were you using destructive or non-destructive testing. Maybe hardness testing. I am asking because I have some and I also have some Nosler brass that I will be forming into 338RUM for an upcoming project to compare it to my 338 Lapua in the same barrel lengths. It should be interesting as they differ by about 4 grains of RL25 in case capacity.

True the Nosler cases necks are chamfered, cut to length with plus or minus .001", wieght sorted to plus or minus .5 grains in each box (escept for one piece), but all this does not make it better if it does not last long enough during use.

Has anybody pressure tested the Remington brass versus the Federal or the Nosler brass.

James

My Buddy was just given 300 bullets (.338 cal. SMK in 300gr.) We are thinking about building a gun to shoot'em. What is the best 338 for bullets 250 grs. and up? What is also the most forgiving? He has reamers for 338 Win and 338 lapua. Which big 338s would you suggest? Edge, RUM or What? Do you recommend lighter bullets or is the 300 gr. best for long range? What barrel length do you like the best for this application?
Thanks
Hank
I really love my 330 Dakota. Built off the .404 Jeffries case. It's like a 338WM Ackley. Unless you really need a Lapua!!

My Buddy was just given 300 bullets (.338 cal. SMK in 300gr.) We are thinking about building a gun to shoot'em. What is the best 338 for bullets 250 grs. and up? What is also the most forgiving? He has reamers for 338 Win and 338 lapua. Which big 338s would you suggest? Edge, RUM or What? Do you recommend lighter bullets or is the 300 gr. best for long range? What barrel length do you like the best for this application?
Thanks
Hank
For bullets the 300gr Berger OTM in the 338 Lapua rivals the 50 cal in distance .

Look at the brand new 338 Sherman Mega. My buddy and I are just finishing up rifles it. https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/mega