What's a "junk "leica 1200 rangefinder worth

dust

I was looking at a pawn shop a few days ago, and noticed a Leica rangefinder in the "junk" section. the junk just means it doesn't work right now. I didn't want to ask what was wrong, because they obviously wouldn't know. How much would you spend on the think in hopes of getting it fixed and working? I can try to get more info on the thing if needed.

I will check on that tonight. Probably some rich japanese golfer dropped it. I didnt see anything physically wrong with it. I've never seen one period. I was randomly looking for stuff while my wife was selling off old clothes.

I know a guy that sent in an old 1200 he bought 2nd hand, as stated above, they wouldn't fix it. What they did do however, is send him a certificate good for $450 towards a new 1600.

So perhaps it might be worth something if they give you the same deal.

I don't mean to be a smarta$$, but I'd go back and stick a fresh battery in it and see what happens. Ya never know , problem could be that simple and maybe pick it up dirt cheap. Wouldn't hurt to try.

The thing is about $150 US. It's not that I don't have the money, and wasn't even thinking about flipping it. If it can be repaired, i will have a really nice RF for the price of a junky one. If not, I have a $150 paperweight, or a $450 gift certificate. I will try to go by there again. Have some other stuff on the plate right now, like replacing a car.

Last edited:
That is the same model I've been using for the past 6 years or so. I've never had any issues or problems with it.

It cost about $600 US (if I am remembering right) brand new. The newer CRF models are a little easier to hold steady, and the button doesn't take as much pressure to activate on the newer ones either. The newer ones are also smaller and lighter, and seem to have more magnification and better quality glass (brighter sharper image).

I believe that this is a model that Leica won't repair, but perhaps they'd send you a certificate towards one of the newer 1200 or 1600 models. The new CRF 1600 cost $800 US brand new. I had some problems with the first 1600 I bought, but sent it back and received another one in about 2 weeks. It seems to be working as designed/expected and problem free.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/leica-crf-1600-warranty-65833/

IT says that it turns on, and works, but there is something on the inside of the glass. I don't know how to get the focus to work, so all I could see was the bald guy in focus about 10 yards away. I didn't get it to boot up, because the guy who "knew about it" wasn't there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.