Swaro vs. Leica Geovids vs. leica 1200? help with rangefinder

lovdasnow

I need to get a rangefinder. I've been reading alot about the differant models, and having a hard time deciding between the ones out there.

As far as the rangfinder side of things goes, is the swaro better than the leica geovids or 1200?

I used the geovids on an elk hunt this year, and really liked the idea of having the binocs and rangefinder combined, but did not test the rangefinding capabilities very much.

So what are your opinions about these rangers...I would like to get 1000yd readings consistently, and would like the combo to cut down on equipment, but don't want to buy them if they arent' as good as the other ones.

And to stir the pot a little, I have heard that the new bushnell 1500 is a great piece of equipment. I really don't like bushnell, but if they are working good for guys then we'll see?

last but not least, should I hold off until the new leupolds come out?

throw your opinions at me, and I'll sort through it...
thanks, jon

Jon , I reported these results before but here it goes again . I bought one of the new Swaros and got 2 duds before getting a good one. Maybe this was just poor luck , because I see mostly good reports on the Swaro . My first 2 would not repeat worth a hoot ( same object scanned one time right after another ) . The Response time was also erratic between when I pressed the button and when I got the digital Read-out . The third one works fine ( so far ). I have never used the Geovids , but I have a Leica 1200 Scan and it has never given me a problem . My Leica will Range between 900 and a tad over 1000 Yards based on the type of object I scan in the Northeast US...... The 3rd Swaro. has scanned out to 1700 Yards and I don't know if that's the limit . I tried to run the tests between the 2 LRF's from the same position within a few minutes of each other to negate changes in lighting and atmospheric conditions . Due to medical problems and our local cold weather , my Test Time has been pretty limited ....the old fingers don't work like they used to . I'm going to keep the Leica and compare it against the Swaro . on the S. Dakota Pdog. fields if I make it out there there in June . Hope this Info. helps .

thanks for the info, I did a search for these and have read your story, so thanks for reposting it. hope you make it out to shoot some prarie poodles!
thanks again, jon

I had a Leica 1200LFR and aon bright sunny days in the desertt I could not get reading over 600 yards on some days, so I bought a Swarvorski and it has never faild to range to 1000 tards under the same conditions as the Leica only gave me about 600 yards.Last september I was able to range an Elk at 1834 yards. If you want or need the extra range then from my experience the Swarovski is the way to go

anyone else? anyone like the geovids? anyone have the geovids, and if so any problems.

I'm sort of leaning toward them because I can get a killer price on those, and I need some new binocs anyway.

thanks...

I've got the 10X Geovids and really like them so far, but I have not had an opportunity to really test them out in an open country situation. I did get a reading of a litttle over 1500 yds on some trees, but that doesn't mean much in a hunting situation. The glass is at least as good as my 10X Zeiss classics, and I like idea of having the all in 1 package (until something breaks). The reviews I read were very positive for the Geovids, and my limited personal experience has been good.

Do you have a set of good binoculars or do you need to buy both? The optics in the geovids are outstanding and I have had better luck with the geovid rangefinder than I have with the leica 1200. I have gotten many readings over 1500yds and it is instant. When you push the button there is very little lag compared to the standard leica rangefinders. I would buy them again and again over everything else. Swarvoski makes a great rangefinder. I really like having one piece of equipment and I don't care for one eyed optics.

Glen

i've got a pair of wind rivers, but don't like them very much after using the geovids. they are also 8x and I would like 10x, so that is why I was leaning toward the geovids.
I guess I mainly wanted to know if people were having good luck with the geovids rangefinder, and it sounds like you love it.. so thats what I was looking for.
thanks, jon

I've got a pair of the 10x geovids, they range great and the glass is bright as all get out. Priceless for pdog culling.

I have used the Geovids from Alaska to Texas and have not been disappointed in any way. Killed a bunch of mule deer on a cull with them, worked fine.

Did you finally get a geovid? I´d like to know how it worked for you.

Thanks.

I'm looking for a good ranger finder out too 1000 yds for prairie dog shooting........any suggestions or practical experience too suggest one over the others would be greatly appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.