What's a good size spring black bear worthy of getting full body mount?

WEATHERBY460

Going on a manitoba spring bear hunt in a couple weeks. If I shoot a bear, what would be the minimum size that would look good in a full body mount? Please share pics if you have any. Thanks

My son shot a 6'+ in 2020. The rug completely covers a double bed and feet hang over the sides. Tail is pretty much on the wall to keep the head from hanging off the foot. I don't remember exactly but I'm guessing he weighed around 400 lbs. Here's some field perspective
2383B827-7006-42F8-9298-E14C24551CDB.jpeg

I think about 6.5' square is a good place, provide the correct form is used. I've seen a couple of nice bear mounted on a smaller form "cause we have one" that ever realized their potential.

I have a 7'3" I regret not life sizing. I've never had a wall that holds it without dragging the floor. Doesn't display as well.

6.5' is where a "good bear" starts, but remember .. they charge by the sq inch, bigger the bear bigger the bill

First bear was just under 250lbs, had that made into a rug, looks good on the wall, second bear was 300lbs, that one is at the taxidermist right now getting a full mount. As some others have said, it's really up to you, what a good size is for a full mount is.

I'd say that's a personal decision and one that can't be made by anyone but you. Personally I prefer a smaller bear for a rug just because a huge bear rug covers too much area. Especially on a wall. It would have to be a very large bear before I'd do a full body mount. Something that would cause people to say "Holy Chit" that's a monster bear. I've done 1/2 off the wall mounts and they look very good with any size bear also. Good luck on your hunt. I got a feeling you'll know when you shoot your bear what your gonna do with it.

I don't think the size should matter to anyone but you. It is your memories that are being preserved for the future. I would add if the hide is rubbed bad a shoulder mount still looks good.

my buddy and his son each got a bear one year . I don't know the size in feet , I "THINK" my buddys weighed 550 LBS . he had his full body mounted , and a rug from the sons . that mount is big in a house . sorry , I don't have a pic of the mount .

dougs bear.jpg

dougs bear 2.jpg

dougs bear 3.jpg

I say that all animals harvested are trophies. That being said, if you have the room and can afford to mount it, get the mount. Here in Wisconsin we are lucky to draw tags every 11 to 12 years. You only get so many chances in your life.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1651923841270.jpg
    FB_IMG_1651923841270.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 122