Whats a better rangefinder???

silvertip-co

I am selling my Cabela's CLR800 to get something a little more substantial with out spending $3k. My thoughts are the ATN1500 or the Bushnell Elite 1500.

Here's a comparison chart, tho not complete:
Cabela's Range Finders Comparison Chart

I'd appreciate your considered input on any one of them or others not listed. I guess if I sell my CLR800 I can then spend up to 500 for a new rangefinder. Dont really need a Leica or Swaro I guess.

Opines please...

Samplelist

Keep checking at WWW.Samplelist.com They often have used or trade in Leicas ( and other brands) I have the CRF 1200 and find it excellent. I previously had the LRF 1200 which I bought and they took it in trade for the CRF...after 2 years I was able to trade up for $200. They seem fair in their trade in policies...You could trade in your present rangefinder for a ??? They change stock very often so keep checking...I just really love that Leica rangefinder...That's my opinion good luck 30-338 The Leica stand alone unit ( not those integrated into the binoc ) are easily found for $650 and I have seen em on Samplelist for less

Last edited:
I don't know about the ATNs but w/the bushnells it tough to know where within the circle you are actually ranging. Maybe with much testing you could figure it out then just use that area of the reticle.

I ran some tests on the Leica 1200 scan which uses a smaller ranging reticle. Depending on slope the range was asmuch as 70 yards when moving the aiming square to the area immediately above the original ranging point.

Twas very interesting.

However, the 1200 at times will only get me 1217 max range. Then other times I can get to 13 and 1400.:confused:

I always wondered what rangefinder they were using on The Best of the West. While looking up something else on-line a while back, I accidentally stumbed across it. It's called the X20 rangefinder and it will range +/- 1m out to 2200m. It retails for about $1,700 and weighs 2.2 lbs (at least I think that's the one they use on TBOW, see x20 long range laser rangefinder).

Just wondering if anyone out there had any experience with this. Regrettably, I'm not in the market for a $1,700 rangefinder at the moment. Probably not at any future moments either.

Last edited:
Silvertip-Co - Do yourself a big favor and spring for the Leica or Swaro. I have the CRF 1200 and love it. It fits in my shirt pocket, it's easy to use, and gets out over 1200 on reflective targets. I routinely range the 1000 yard hillside where we shoot in rain, snow, sleet, whatever. I just saw it at the Sportsman's Warehouse for $599. I've heard great things about the Swaro but never used one. Beg, borrow, or steal the extra C-note and never look back. Best of luck.

Silvertip-co. I bought one of the Nikons a couple of years ago because it looked pretty nice and was quite a bit cheaper than the Leica. Boy was that a mistake. It was an 800 yd rangefinder and now is only good to about 150 yds. I can't figure it out, it's almost as if the laser is wearing out. I just bought the Leica CRF 1200 due to all of the reports and feedback I have read. Most retailers have raised the price to 699 on this, mine was 599 a few weeks ago at Bass Pro. If you want one that will still be working in a few years, and you only want to have to spend the money once, I would just bite the bullet and get the Leica.

I have the bushnell elite 1500 and they were a decent pair of range finders until I started getting into really long range stuff. I could only get then to read out to 900 yards. So I stepped up to the swaros. I do not know to what distance you are shooting but that is my experience with the 1500. I am holding onto them for the time being as a back up pair but the swaros are nice and I was able to range pass 1300 yards the first couple times using them.

SES50

You might consider a newcon 2000pro. I just got one due to some of the reviews on this site. My experience isn't quite as glowing as rum300's but I am happy with it all the same. I can get readings on trees to 1000 meters any time and have hit trees at 1350m. I have gotten cows at 850 meters and a tan horse at 935 meters (only when it was broadside). It will read with a crosshair or relatively small rectangle as a reticule, selectable to read yards or meters, near, far or best reading (but I haven't found it makes a difference-maybe it's not working??) and will give a compass reading at the same time. It can also read speed (kph or mph). Cost was $475 shipped from Brigade Quartermasters Ltd. The negatives are mine reads wire fencing or leafless trees instead of the object I'm trying to range in the distance so it has to be a clear line of sight, it won't range in fog (I think all range finders have trouble??). The optics are non adjustable but even though I need glasses for distance the clarity is spot on when 15 yards or 1200 yards (magic??). I have gotten a 1740 meter reading on the rear of a semi (large reflective target) and wouldn't be surprised if it would go farther as I've only been ranging for a week. The warranty is 1yr but for $35 you can extend it to 3yrs. Do a search and you can find lots of range finder threads here and at snipershide.

whats the difference between the CRF 1200 and the LRF 1200? I can get a new LRF 1200 for $349 shipped, but I don't want to buy junk. Whats the best price anyone has on the CRF? Thanks.

LRF is a little bigger, it is the older model. It will not fit in a shirt pocket. That being said, it will work fine. CRF is the newer smaller model no ranging advantage, just a little more expensive.

I currently own two rangefinders. My old one is a Bushnell compact 800(although not so compact by today's standards). I have had no problems out of this rangefinder. The reticle is easy to see, it ranges accurately(compared reading with a swaro several times) and has held up to years of hunting and shooting. I have well gotten my $ worth from them.

I also have the swaro rangefinder it is a top notch outfit. I have owned it 2 yrs now and I am very pleased. My only complaint about the swaro, is the ranging button is noticibly harder to press than my bushnell's. Making it harder to stay on target while trying to range. But if you attach a tripod this is not such a problem, its almost a must for the extended ranges. I wonder if others have noticed the same with the swaro's compared to others. That being said, the swaro's kick the bushnell's @$$ in low light conditions. Plus double the ranging capability.

I have also heard good reports from the leica's. Their compact 1200 are truly compact.

If you intend to shoot out to 1K or further, I would opt for the swaro's or leica's.

Silvertip-Co - Do yourself a big favor and spring for the Leica or Swaro. I have the CRF 1200 and love it. It fits in my shirt pocket, it's easy to use, and gets out over 1200 on reflective targets. I routinely range the 1000 yard hillside where we shoot in rain, snow, sleet, whatever. I just saw it at the Sportsman's Warehouse for $599. I've heard great things about the Swaro but never used one. Beg, borrow, or steal the extra C-note and never look back. Best of luck.

TJ,

I would like to know what kind of results you are getting over heavy snow with the Leica 1200 on coyote size animals. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.