What would cause this? Bullet drop with elevation change

1 rifle = 99.9% it is either difference in bipod, rear bag setup or you two just shoot differently. One hunting partner of mine shoots almost identical to me and another is off pretty good. Not powder. Not elevation

6 rifles??? Good luck

I mounted a scope and developed a load for a friend of mine. I'm at 850 feet of elevation. The gun was shooting great when he left. I had it zeroed at 100 yards. He got to his elk hunt today. He is 2 inches low at 100 yards and is at 7200 feet. He dialed the correct moa and tried at 350. He his 6 inches low. He's the clinker, there are 6 guys on this trip and everyone of them is seeing the same thing. Higher elevation shot be less bullet drop but not in this case. The gun is a tikka 300 win mag, h1000 powder, 200 gr eld-x. Temps are similar to when we shot here. Anyone have any ideas?
Just for informative purposes, what was the temp change from 850' to 7200' ?

Just to clear a few things up. There was no flight involved. The odds of 6 rifles all being messed with in in transport in there own trucks is basically impossible. There is another factor coming into play here, I'm just trying to learn something.

So just out of curiosity what type of range facility and benches are they using at elk camp ? Are the targets on the same plane as they were where you sighted in at not up or down angled from at the home range . Is it close to the base of a cliff , or maybe in a canyon or large draw ? We have a lot of changing air currents where I live when you are at the base of a cliff depending on the direction of the wind hitting the back side of the cliff you can have a down draft or if it's blowing toward the cliff face on your side you can have an updraft . Down in Colorado at the Bolder air port they have what are called rotators that are similar to a tornado laying on it's side but you can't see them with your eyes as they don't pick up any ground litter and before they learned what was happening there were several small planes that just all of a sudden nose dived dropping several hundred feet in seconds . Perhaps something of this nature is happening so that there is a hard downward wind between the shooter and the target . Just some thoughts I had from some of the things I've seen in the mountains that people from other places may not have seen yet .

Just to clear a few things up. There was no flight involved. The odds of 6 rifles all being messed with in in transport in there own trucks is basically impossible. There is another factor coming into play here, I'm just trying to learn something.
I'm sure the explanation will be laughable or at the very least, basic. It's the change in altitude being much much higher and impact being lower that's the dilemma

I honestly can't answer that. I got a text from him yesterday afternoon saying I'm shooting low when I I should be shooting a little high, actually everyone here is low at least a couple inches. I called him and asked the basics.
So just out of curiosity what type of range facility and benches are they using at elk camp ? Are the targets on the same plane as they were where you sighted in at not up or down angled from at the home range . Is it close to the base of a cliff , or maybe in a canyon or large draw ? We have a lot of changing air currents where I live when you are at the base of a cliff depending on the direction of the wind hitting the back side of the cliff you can have a down draft or if it's blowing toward the cliff face on your side you can have an updraft . Down in Colorado at the Bolder air port they have what are called rotators that are similar to a tornado laying on it's side but you can't see them with your eyes as they don't pick up any ground litter and before they learned what was happening there were several small planes that just all of a sudden nose dived dropping several hundred feet in seconds . Perhaps something of this nature is happening so that there is a hard downward wind between the shooter and the target . Just some thoughts I had from some of the things I've seen in the mountains that people from other places may not have seen yet .
om him

I mounted a scope and developed a load for a friend of mine. I'm at 850 feet of elevation. The gun was shooting great when he left. I had it zeroed at 100 yards. He got to his elk hunt today. He is 2 inches low at 100 yards and is at 7200 feet. He dialed the correct moa and tried at 350. He his 6 inches low. He's the clinker, there are 6 guys on this trip and everyone of them is seeing the same thing. Higher elevation shot be less bullet drop but not in this case. The gun is a tikka 300 win mag, h1000 powder, 200 gr eld-x. Temps are similar to when we shot here. Anyone have any ideas?
POI at 100 change is not a big deal. That's why you always fire a test shot to make sure it's still zeroed.

6 inches lower than expected at 300 sounds like a temperature changing velocity. High elevation lowers the amount of drop "assuming all else being equal." All else wasn't equal. Different shooter, different conditions (how you preload a bipod might be different than how he does, etc) different temperature, he might not use the exact same eye relief you do, so if parallax isn't adjusted correctly it'll cause a poi change, etc.

this is why we don't trust ballistic apps with our life, and why everyone will tell you to verify your drop at the elevation and temps you plan to hunt at. And why many use a dope chart that you tape to your scope or buttstock with your "real" and "tested" drops.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts