What type of bullet did you use on your last elk?

What type of bullet did you use on your last elk harvest?

• Monolithic Solid Copper - Barnes, Hammer, GMX, E-Tip etc.

Votes: 50 17.5%
  • A-Frame / Partition - or similar construction.

Votes: 20 7.0%
  • Premium Bonded Lead Core - Interbond, Accubond, Scirocco, Woodleigh etc.

Votes: 61 21.3%
  • Low Cost Traditional Copper Jacket Lead Core - Core-lokt, Interlock etc.

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Ballistic type hollow point with polymer tip, Hornady SST, ballistic tip etc. non-bonded

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Ultra Low Drag - ELDX, Nosler RDF, etc. anything designed primarily for drag coefficient

Votes: 74 25.9%
  • Target /Match grade - Any bullet primarily designed for match grade accuracy above all

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • Round nose, Flat nose, dangerous game etc. you like to hit them with bricks...

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Not sure, didn't matter because they all kill pretty much the same.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Different bullet that doesn't fit a category. Excluding, arrows, trucks, spears ;)

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters
300WSM Factory Barnes 165GR TTSX 80 YARDS Lunged and took 10 steps and tipped over dead

.338 Win. Mag. Ruger No.1, 250 grain Barnes TTSX, high shoulder, low neck shot DRT @227 yds. ranged. Down face first with a mouth full of dirt......OH hell Yeah !

Remington 783 .308, factory Hornady Black, 168gr Amax--- one shot into a Red Stag at 75 yards. Took 3 steps and tipped over.

Pick the bullet that most correlates to a choice.

Also if you have a chance, tell us the muzzle velocity, and how did it do? Also note the impact velocity and range if you can.

Thanks for providing this info. As a long time elk hunter i'm trying to look outside my box and see what others are doing.
I used my Winchester 1300 slug gun, yes a 12 gauge. Copper Solids 80 yards in thick timber.
He didn't go anywhere but down...

Pick the bullet that most correlates to a choice.

Also if you have a chance, tell us the muzzle velocity, and how did it do? Also note the impact velocity and range if you can.

Thanks for providing this info. As a long time elk hunter i'm trying to look outside my box and see what others are doing.
30/06 Sierra 180gr SPBT, has worked great for me over the last 40 years, out to 400 yds.

Last buffalo and hartebeest were monolithic .416 350gnTTSX at 2825 fps. Good medicine. Hartebeest dumped, buffalo shot back lung/back of leg and ran about 125 yards, wanted another shot. Never hunted elk, but I'd use the same bullet structures.

They work from impala and up, and two months ago took a little Calif blacktail mule-deer with .338" 185gnTTSX 3125 fps, face-on at 302 yards, flipping the buck in his tracks.

300 WSM, 165 gr CT SilverTip, 3150 fps mv - 203yds - mid chest directly behind left front shoulder. 6 pt didn't go more than 8 yds. Through shot, did not recover bullet, sizable exit trauma.

Berger 6.5mm 140 grain vld hunting ~100yards 2650 fps impact velocity from a 6.5x55 Swede. Bull soaked up the first shot and stepped behind a tree for about 10 seconds before falling down, got his feet back under him and received a insurance shot. After opening him up it was clear it wasn't needed. Working on getting a 28 Nosler built to shoot the 195's.

Nosler ABLR 175gr out of my 7 mag on a large bull @ 480yds. Bull was slightly quartering away and standing on a steep grade. Bullet hit him back and high on rib cage. At impact the bull lunged forward and just stood there wobbling for about 10 seconds and then fell over dead. I did the gutless so I did not see all of the destruction but the liver was destroyed. The bullet did not exit but I never found any bullet fragments.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.