What to do with the little ones?

Orange Dust

Been working with my Grandson. He understands red dots, but not scopes. Planning on him being behind the gun instead of beside it this fall. Was all in for a 25yd feeder, red dot and sandbags out of a tower stand until I had an idea.... I have an AR in 6.8 with a Sightmark Wrath 4K Mini. It is a dedicated hog gun. 4k Mini is a video screen.... Put the X on it and a hit!!! AR stock fits him fine... He shoots it better than the red dot. It magnifies. This is going to be fun...

What doesn't he understand about a scope? use the crosshairs instead of a dot. pretty simple.

What doesn't he understand about a scope? use the crosshairs instead of a dot. pretty simple.
No it is not. Eye has to be in proper position to see anything. Not natural and a learned experience. Red dots do not require specific eye relief or centering. Neither do the day / night scopes.. They are a video screen. Child can aqcuire target much quicker than with a conventional scope.

No it is not. Eye has to be in proper position to see anything. Not natural and a learned experience. Red dots do not require specific eye relief or centering. Neither do the day / night scopes.. They are a video screen. Child can aqcuire target much quicker than with a conventional scope.
Curious on the age? I was 8 ish when I first started on a 22LR and ya the eye box thing can be challenging at first but you pick that up pretty quick, nothing a couple boxes of ammo and some pop cans can't solve. Nothing against a dot or the digital scope just saying.

Curious on the age? I was 8 ish when I first started on a 22LR and ya the eye box thing can be challenging at first but you pick that up pretty quick, nothing a couple boxes of ammo and some pop cans can't solve. Nothing against a dot or the digital scope just saying.
We start them younger here. Both my girls were shooting archery deer targets with rifles 1/2 that age with centerfires. They both killed their first deer before their 6th BD. By the time they were 8 they were limiting out (6). By the time they could buy a hunting liscense I lost count. Now they are 28 and 32, They both hunt much harder than I do for both big game and waterfowl. Start them young, Teach them to be successful and create lifetime hunting partners. Here he is calling ducks last season. He is standing on the seat in a sled blind in a rice field so he can see them. We have a new blind in the woods where he can get them up close and kill them with a .410 next season. tungsten is going to get expensive. He is a constant companion with Papa at the farm.

Attachments

• 40607 (1).jpeg
    40607 (1).jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 41
Been working with my Grandson. He understands red dots, but not scopes. Planning on him being behind the gun instead of beside it this fall. Was all in for a 25yd feeder, red dot and sandbags out of a tower stand until I had an idea.... I have an AR in 6.8 with a Sightmark Wrath 4K Mini. It is a dedicated hog gun. 4k Mini is a video screen.... Put the X on it and a hit!!! AR stock fits him fine... He shoots it better than the red dot. It magnifies. This is going to be fun...
I do the same with an ATN scope and I can Bluetooth my phone to it and see what he's seeing so I can tell where he's aiming and give corrections if I need to.

I do the same with an ATN scope and I can Bluetooth my phone to it and see what he's seeing so I can tell where he's aiming and give corrections if I need to.
The record functions on both will be a blessing after the shot if the deer doesn't fall. Can't count how many times I had to calm the kid down and try and find out exactly what happened and what they saw when the gun went off. Personally I think this is a great idea.

Started all my kids with with a ruger 77/22 and 3-9 Leupold. I would set cans out at 25 yards and set the gun on sand bags on a cooler. You'd be amazed how fast they learn to acquire their target. Start on lower power and let them decide when to crank the power up. Gradually move the cans cans out. Couple of sessions and they'll be hooked.

Oh my I better get started my oldest granddaughter is 12 and my youngest is 3. I don't know a thing about the ATN scopes but they sound like a good idea. Do you mind educating me a bit?

PlumberEd

Recent Posts