What to do with a 257 WBY with shot out barrel???

Qzilla

I have a 257 Weatherby that is a Super Big Master model. This was offered a few years ago but, not anymore for some reason? One of my buddies owns a rifle range and store and he sort of made me buy it to try it out. Well I got it and it shot lights out in the .5 -.75 MOA with factory ammo.

Well I fell in love with this gun and it now has somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 rounds through it in about 3 years. Now the accuracy is in the 1.5 - 2 MOA range and I am not satisified with it anymore and I have actually just put it up in the case. Well I had 257 WBY withdrawls and Shawn Carlock is building me a 257WBY on a Rem 700 action.

Now the problem is that this gun really cannot be sold as I used it strictly in S TX in very harsh conditions. It is in sounds mechanical condition but, it looks just like you might expect. The stock finish is rubbed in many spots from being in my Jeep mat and so is the blueing on the barrel in some spots.

So basically at this point it is worthless. What can I do with it? Should I rebarrel it? Should I rechamber it? What would Weatherby do if I sent it to them? I heard others mention that if you shot their barrel out they warranty it? That did not sound right to me but, I have heard people mention it.

I love the stock and the barrel contout and how it used to shoot but, I am at a loss of what I should do with it. None of the custom gun guys really like building stuff on the WBY actions so when I talk to them they sort of sound like they got kicked in the gonads! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any opinions are appreciated!

Quad

Rebarrel that rascel , their are smiths out their that will rebarrel it , talk to Shawn or Kirby or 308Nate from here I'm sure if they won't barrel it they'll know sombody that will. Since your having another 257Wby built then why not have this built into somthing for real long rage like one of the Allen mags or 7RUM with a longer barrel.

On second thought , your right its worthless , ship it to me with $100 and I'll dispose of it properly for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm kinda like jdjones if you don't want it well you can ship it here north to central Texas or I'll come get her and Ill take care of it for you Ha, Ha . I really don't think it would be necessarialy shot out. I'm sure you have some throat erosion if you can set the bullet forward some and see how she shoots. When I have a rifle chambered cut I keep things short and then move the bullet forward as the throat wears. This way I get a little more use out of the creature. I understand about the love of the 257wby. It is a great 1/4 bore. I would say you could get Krieger to put a real krieger barrel on it. probley 4-500.00. If you decide to sell her let me know.but I would try moving the bullet forward if you can.Good luck,
RH

On the barrel call Weatherby's service department. It is far from worthless. That stock can be refinished pretty cheap (check with Rick Bin on 24 hour campfire) and that action will never lose value. If it really is shot out I would also consider sending it to Krieger for a cut rifled barrel. Why Krieger. Krieger is the brand the Weatherby custom shop uses so your rifle will remain pure and not lose any value. Any other brand will probably make it shoot just as good but will make it a $400 gun.

Quad,

"None of the custom gun guys really like building stuff on the WBY actions so when I talk to them they sort of sound like they got kicked in the gonads!"

Now, now, it wasn't really that bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Well ... maybe it was.

[ QUOTE ]
Quad,

"None of the custom gun guys really like building stuff on the WBY actions so when I talk to them they sort of sound like they got kicked in the gonads!"

Now, now, it wasn't really that bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Well ... maybe it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Shawn,

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...p;page=0#125063

So it can be done.........

Can you get me a factory looking barrel? It is a really light contour and it is also fluted.

I could have it in the mail tomorrow! Give me a call.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts